I really cant catch a break. Is this columnaris?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I went back and looked at my history. I thin you can do that too. go to profile and there you can see something like "threads started by user" (under statistics)and you can see my story. I did a summary and I will try and include the link here
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/my-90-gallon-saga-204168.html

also just to clairify on the link on the previous post - it should be to a place called national fish pharmacceuticals (nationalfishparm.com)

edit: If you want to you can go and see my original story - and there are a few pics in there. I think the real treatment was the kanamycin - I originally treated with maracyn two but it came back and had to treat with the kanamycin in the end

High thanks for this. I really need a good online store as none of that is available here :( Triple sulpha and tetracycline is all we have.

What salt dose per gall did you use (I assume gal., I can't think in litres anymore lol)?

Edit - interesting too on the peroxide, I had heard of it used but not much detail. Thanks.

Last edited:
I didn't use lots because I had loaches in there. Pretty sure I did half dose - 1 TBSP/ 5 gallons, I have a 90 gallon tank and treated for 35 gallons. I know that may sound like funny math, but that is what my notes said :)

I didn't use lots because I had loaches in there. Pretty sure I did half dose - 1 TBSP/ 5 gallons, I have a 90 gallon tank and treated for 35 gallons. I know that may sound like funny math, but that is what my notes said :)

Many thanks, same here with sensitive fish - I had read of 1 tablespoon per gall but used 1 per 5 gal for b/n catfish and 2 per 5 gal for neon tetras.

Well I've been treating with maracyn 1 AND 2 because it was advised to treat hand in hand to cover all bases. The neon is going through a second round of treatment. His mouth just isn't getting any better whatsoever. I removed the angelfish from QT. His cyst or whatever they were have ruptured and I haven't seen new growth. But I think those meds were really strong for him and he quit pooping and is now incredibly bloated. He hasn't pooped in a week and his tummy is just BIG. He's still colorful. I placed him back in the main tank and dosed with pimafix and melafix because while transporting him back he hit his gill pretty hard and started bleeding ALOT from his gill and I thought he'd die right then and there. But it stopped. He's been back in the main tank for three days now and he's still extremely bloated. No eating or anything. But his cysts look good and seem to be healing up. He's colorful too. I've stopped feeding the main tank because he will still continue to eat but I haven't seen him poop in so long and he is just getting really bloated. They have plants in the tank to munch in anyways so I'm not worried about not feeding them flakes.

Not sure what to do about this darn neon though. *shrugs* if this round doesn't do anything, I'll just have to kill him because I don't want to put him back in the main tank.

I'll take a picture of the angelfish's belly when the lights cut on

Yeah there is salt in the neons QT tank. Idk it may be too late. Thinking if this second round doesn't do anything I'm just going to euthanize it because I don't want to place him back in the main tank.

My immediate concern though is directed at the angel fish. He is scary bloated :/ to the point where he's breathing labored. Is this a side effect of the meds because he didn't get bloated until day 2 of starting treatment and ever since then no poop and he's getting more and more bloated. I feel like he's just going to pop!

Well I'll try the Epsom salt method. Hopefully he can tolerate the dip. And since he still wants to eat (I haven't fed him in a week because he seriously is really bloated and I'm too afraid to add to the problem) I'm going to offer him a shelled pea as well. Other than that. I'm just gonna hang tight and wait for him to either die or get better. Makes me sad if he dies :(

Well he didn't eat the pea. I guess he's passed the point of wanting food now. Just curious. I see dosing recommendations per 10 gallons but I'm only doing a dip and have a 3 gallon bucket. How much Epsom salt should I do? And should I do it every day? I did 1tsp every gallon because I was just guessing and didn't want to hurt him. He didn't seem stressed but he still hasn't pooped in over a week. So tomorrow should I just go ahead and keep it at that amount? I dipped him for 30 minutes too. Didn't seem bothered at all by it.

IMO the rapid transitions between treatments/tanks/ food offerings is adding more problems than anything else. any and all treatment should be slow and steady. not only in the introduction but also the transition back to normal params and habits. pulling a fish constantly / switching treatments/ changing foods rapidly is only going to compound the issue. im willing to bet if you correctly diagnose the issue, slowly ramp up treatment, and hold consistant, the angel will bounce back.

as for the salt dips, i really would reconsider those, if the fishs bowels are blocked up, a salt dip would only pull liquids fromt he fish, in essence it could actually harder the fishs poop even moreso.

Ok I just googled fish bloat and assumed that was what he had. How do I make him poop if he is indeed backed up? He won't touch peas

Back
Top Bottom