I see Ich on my Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger_Oscar

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was in the process of doing my water change and notice my tiger osars has ICH. After draining half the water I treated the water with ICH medicine.

Tiger oscar is the only fish with visible signs. I went in to check this morning and it looks like some went away. I turned the heat up last night when applying the medicine.

How often should I re-treat the tank? Also shouldn't I remove medicine from the water after treatment is complete?

What kind of meds did you use? Some meds will completly destroy the bacteria that is in the tank. Which means a re-cycle. The recommended treatment to ensure saving the bacteria is heat and salt. How often you treat the tank depends on what meds you used and what the directions say. After the treatment is done (probably about 2 weeks) then run carbon through the filter to remove the meds.

Hopefully, you removed the carbon from the filter if you had one. Check the other fish for signs during the entire treatment phase. It is not uncommon for ich to re-appear on another fish if not treated completely. The usual time frame is two weeks after the last ich spot has disappeared.

Well, I screwed up because I didn't remove the carbon. What will be my consequences? Replace the carbon and discard the old one? Will it harm the fish because I left it in?

Medications was called Quick Cure. It says it cures in 2 days which I'm sure you and Jchill will say is false. It doesn't say anything about killing batterie breakdown. I also used salt and increased my temp by only 1 degree. How high should I increase the temp over the normal living condition which is around 82 degrees?

The medication is called Quick Cure.

I would keep a close eye on your ammonia readings for the next couple weeks. Just to make sure. Alot of times they won't list that it will harm the bacteria. Probably beacuse people wouldn't buy the product. But since you left the carbon in, chances are the meds was absorbed by the carbon. The temp should be increased slowly to about 88 degrees. You could do the heat treatment only, that is if you are worried about the possibility of mixing meds. I personally would just stop dosing the meds and use the heat. Salts can be used but I don't know how your fish are in regards to being mixed with salts.

Also, if you do decide to go with the heat treatment, be sure to add additional airation beacuse the increased heat will cause a loss in oxygen.

86 degees would be on the safe side for the heat treatment and make sure you get plenty of airation in there before you start cranking up the heat.. and keep the water at a constant 86 degees for at least 2 weeks and if there is no signs of stress and extra week is advisable.. HTH

btw.. with the amount of advise you have been getting here I would advise that you ask before acting next time something happens... :p

Yeah I did kinda jump the gun. It happened so fast the way the white spots appeared. I'm going to just replace my carbon cuz it's about time anyway. I'll go with the heat treatment and salt making sure to get plenty of airation.

The spots are going away on the Oscar. I know this doesn't mean it's gone but it's a good sign. Greenmagi you was just telling the tiger oscar had high chances of getting ICH. Anyway, it's not the end of the world it's a learning experience. Thanks kudos to you all

Have you finnished your cycle's? I dont remember saying that but.. You were going through a cycle with the fish.. have you gotten rid of that pacu (soon to be up to 28") yet? its going to need 400gallons+ not to mention nibbling fingers off. 8O

Results from yesterday

0 Nitrites
0 ammonia
10 nitrate
7.4 P.h

Yes the cycle had completed. I'll test again tomorrow since this medicine could throw everything off.

I went to that website you recommended and place an add, to give Pacu away. Chances are slim I know but I'm going to check it out now.

As you probably had imagined the Piranha now lives in the 55 gal alone.Yeah he's really acting like a Pirahna now. I'm not worried about Pacu bitting my fingers I'm worried about Piranha.

I use the long extension python to clean that tank now. I need to find some dividers to get in there now..lol

Back
Top Bottom