I think I have ick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed a few white salt spots on my tetras and I want to take care of this before it gets too bad... I have Aquarisol on hand but I have heard something about not using it with Amquel/Novaqua? What else can I use? To complicate matters my Platy is having babies (I have seen one so far but we have a heavily planted tank).

BTW, salt is really not an option due to my cories... I also have a loach and oto that it may hurt as well.

Any Advice appreciated!

Check the following:
Temperature fluctations
pH fluctuation
Water parameters ie. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels.
Correcting one of the above may help.

I am only new to the hobby myself but I definitely would not add salt with your types of fish. The main cause could be temp change but check all the above.

I hope you get some more feedback :wink:
Louise

If salt and meds are not an option, heat always is. Ich cannot survive over 82 or so, put your heat up to 84 or so for a week. Hopefully this will do the trick. I usually do this in combo with salt, but give it a try on its own, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Not making fun of your fish having Ich, but the title of the thread made me smile, I just imagined a person covered in little white dots! :lol:

True...it is always better to just raise the temperature to about 84 degrees to kill ich before dumping medicine in your tank. I used aquari-sol alone with the temp. raised to about 83/84 degrees and it worked wonders...when one of my white tip catfish sharks was completely covered in ich...two days later after using aquari-sol and raising the temp...ALL of the ich disappeared. Also, you can add aquari-sol weekly to prevent future ich attacks. However, you have to be careful with aquari-sol...use half the dose recommended on scale less and small fish.

Corvuscorax's suggestion for raising the temperature has always worked for me, but I would recommend treating for two weeks, rather than one. A week of higher temps will take care of the ich currently living in the tank, but won't do anything for the nastly little buggers that haven't hatched yet. The additional week should take care of the unhatched nasties and clear the tank up.

Just be sure to keep an eye on the things Littlelouie suggested: any of those conditions will be stressful for your fish- and stress is what usually allows ich to get a foothold on your tank. Good luck! :D

well i think that it would be safe using a medication called Quick-Cure, it treats ich very well, along with many other diseases. I also thing that it would be safe on the baby(s). let me know if this helped

Right, Quick-Cure is great for clearing Ick. I would use it in conjunction with higher temps and the best water conditions you can achieve.

Just a thought on Ick med's:
I haven't had nearly as much luck with Aquari-Sol as I have with quICK-Cure. The only bummer about the latter is that, as others have said, it stains the sealant in your tank. To me, this is a small price to pay for the well-being of your fishes! Good luck, hope all turns out well

Concerned_Citizen

Back
Top Bottom