I think I have Ick!!!Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DetroitRockCity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had my tank stocked for about two weeks and just last nite and today have had 5 fish die. It appears to be ick, but I didn't know what it was till looking online. Any suggestions on how to rid my tank of this and save as many of my fish as possible would be great. I'm going to start gradually raising my temp, but other than that don't know what I should do.

If you don't have live plants you can add some salt too...otherwise the heat treatment is pretty effective.

I have also used the "blackout" method in conjunction w/ salt & temp. increase with success... If the parasites can't see the host, they can't jump on. I just can't remember if I did it for 24 hours or 72...

not to be silly, but are you sure the ich parasite has eyes? im asking because i never heard of treating ich by blackout and ich is a protozoa, i wasnt aware that they could see and found their host by looking for it. is this true?

The salt should not effect the snails as long as you do not over dose. My suggestion would be to use one half the recommended dosage on the box but that is something you might want to look in to. In the past when I had been treating for ich using the temp/salt method I was able to use half the recommended dose of aquarium salt with a snail (not sure what type it was) in the tank who made it through the treatment with no problems what so ever.

All in all, I don't think using an appropriate dosage of salt in the tank will have any affect on the snail(s). However, I would not suggest employment the salt treatment for more then a week or so.

I would also like to point out that just because this worked for me does not mean you will have the same results. I wish you the best of luck, please keep us posted.

Best,
Joe

Just heat will do it.Get it to 87 or higher...Thats the critical part ...it must be 87 or higher.Leave it that way for two weeks AFTER you see the last sign of ich.This has worked great for me twice...ime you do not need salt to beat it,but you may need a higher wattage heater.

Also,since no one has adressed this yet, ich looks like grains of salt...mostly on the fins and tail at first.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm up to 80 degrees now at 7:30, I started with a tank temp of 77.5 at 3:30. I plan to go up at least a degree or two before I crash tonite and then setting it to 87 by 8am tomorrow. We are traveling over the holiday and have a friend stopping in to keep an eye on the tank. I hate to leave the tank now, but we have commitments. Hopefully it all works out and we save some of the little guys. We have a 250Watt Stealth heater and the dial goes to 89 so hopefully that will be able to sustain the higher temps.

not to be silly, but are you sure the ich parasite has eyes? im asking because i never heard of treating ich by blackout and ich is a protozoa, i wasnt aware that they could see and found their host by looking for it. is this true?

Okay, you had me googling for awhile to find this, cause it was so long ago that I had read it :

Heat, salt and darkness: This is surely one of the most hotly debated topics in fishkeeping! The suggested treatment procedure is as follows:

* gradually increase the tank s temperature to 80 degrees F.
* add salt to a solution of 3 teaspoons per gallon (in increments of 1 tsp per gallon every 12 hours).
* keep the tank in darkness by switching the light off and covering it with cloth or paper.

The theory behind how this treatment works is this:

* Increasing the temperature to 80 degrees F speeds up the ich lifecycle to a few days and therefore speeds up the rate at which the tomites are killed off by the salt. It also boosts the fish s immune system, helping it to fight off the disease.
* The salt raises the salinity of the water to a level beyond the the tomites osmoregulatory tolerance, causing them to burst. Also, the increased salinity stimulates the fish to produce a slightly thicker slime coat, helping to prevent re-infection and secondary infections.
* Ciliated protozoans cannot find new hosts easily in darkness and therefore more of the tomites die before they can latch on to the fish.

Thats a treatment I got off of a goldfish website about seven years ago for ich treatment when I had my first out of two bouts ever in my whole lifetime of fish keeping with ich.... I tried it and it worked. I would NEVER spout words of advice to anyone without them having been successful for myself first. If I don't know the answer I will admit that... that said, I don't know why it worked, but it did. Do ich tomites have eyes? I never meant that literally... I know they don't. Neither do the trophonts, or any of the other stages of ick. But I blacked out my tank for three days with a heavy duty garbage bag, peeled it off and had no more ich. But as I said I ALSO used salt & heat... So I am not sure which method actually worked.

Also, thats not the only place I found that advice being given, but they all said essentially the same thing: no one knows if a photo period of lights off or on has anything to do with it, but it has been proven to work or at least help some people. It was also suggested that it may actually keep the stress level of the fish down during treatment, and we know stress is a major factor in fish succumbing to ich in the first place.

Sicklid said:
Okay, you had me googling for awhile to find this, cause it was so long ago that I had read it :

I would NEVER spout words of advice to anyone without them having been successful for myself first.

i have heard of heat and salt, but never darkness. when i read your original post i had to investigate. if darkness works for you and others, then i am not going to say it does not. i know you would never spout bad advice and i never intended to come off that way. but i like the reduced stress idea with blacking out your tank, i used to cover my hospital tank during treatments to reduce stress.

btw, didnt mean to make you google either. :D

btw, didnt mean to make you google either.

Hee-hee... I just needed to prove it to MYSELF more than you Aquarious. I knew I remembered reading it somewhere once, and I HAD to prove it, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to sleep last night! But, I forgot that it was when I had a goldfish tank in like the year 2000, and that it was originally from a goldfish website, so it took me a while. I knew I'd find it...

You didn't come off any way that I got upset about, just had to show you I wasn't making stuff up, and reflecting now it probably does just reduce stress on the fish rather than make them invisible to the parasite. Kudos to you for investigatin' my investigations! The internet is full of lies, allegations, and rumors, which is why I come here; it's the LEAST full of BS site I have come across. It's also why I try not to clog it up with BS myself.

Anyway, HOW IS THE ICH SITUATION, DetroitRockCity?

Just got back from vacation this evening and we have not lost any fish since last Friday evening. I got the temp on the tank up to 85 degrees befoe we left for vacation on saturday and had a friend stop in and check on everything saturday and sunday...so far the fish are doing much better. All visual traces of the ich are gone and the fish look to have a lot more energy. I plan to keep the temp up for at least another week. Thanks EVERYONE for all the advice!!!!

85 degrees

85 is not hot enough ime....The ich being "gone" doesn't mean a thing I'm afraid.The ich has a life cycle.It on the fish..it feeds...it falls off into the substrate...it mutiplies...swims up in larger numbers and finds new hosts.

Thats how it spreads to other fish.That life cycle is also temp dependent so the hotter it is the faster it happens...until you get above 87.Then it can't survive the swim up.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom