I think my betta has dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fwiw, dropsy isn't usually very contagious. Often only one fish in a tankful will have it. Cause is not really known for sure, but poor water conditions are suspected. All aquariums have millions of bacteria in them, some of which fit into a category called 'opportunistic'. All that means is that if they find an opportunity, they'll exploit it. So if a fish has a depressed immune system, for any reason, or even some injury, some of these types of bacteria may infect it and if the result is dropsy, there's no known cure.

A very few fish have recovered from it, but not enough to be sure why they did and others didn't. Usual treatments, like temperature, salt or even antibiotics don't usually work, which is why, when I see a post about dropsy, I usually mention euthanasia.

I'm sorry about Bubbles, but better he's gone now than hanging on 'til his eyes popped out, which I have seen happen. Buy another fish and give it a good home in his honour.

Wish I could have shown you this sooner! I found this video just now. It's how to cure dropsy. It includes how to reverse internal damage and how to get your fish to eat and it answered all the questions you had.

NatureFish
????

Fascinating. I'm curious how much it would cost to buy all those meds. It's unfortunate but cost can be a factor for many.
Some excellent information in there though, great you posted it. I'll be keeping this one bookmarked.

Fascinating. I'm curious how much it would cost to buy all those meds. It's unfortunate but cost can be a factor for many.
Some excellent information in there though, great you posted it. I'll be keeping this one bookmarked.

Look In the description it tells you how much each product that you will need costs

NatureFish
????

Thank you. I will keep that link in mind. Even if I was able to get the meds, I don't know if I would have been able to get them in time :(

I appreciate this. I miss my little guy so much.

I must have missed the bit with the prices. Probably because my cat likes to butt her head underneath the laptop in an attempt to put herself in its place, and she's been really pushy today.

@Fishfur

Thank you :) We (unexpectedly, we went to the petstore to return some bettafix we never opened) adopted a little female betta after we buried our betta boy.

She's very cute and I can't wait to get her into a bigger tank. Right now she is floating in our 5g catfish tank in a 16oz plastic food cup. It keeps tipping which is annoying. So much for keeping them apart while she is new lol. The catfish should be moving to our 10g on Monday and the female betta (we are not naming her for the time being, not sure if we will in the future, but I call her miss betta or little girl lol) will go in the 5g.

We had her in a 1g plastic tank, but, the room temp was not enough to keep her warm so she is Ms. Floaty Betta lol. Wish we hadn't bought that but we did not want to put her into a little cup! But she needed to be warm, so, eh. It's very temporary. I have been giving her fresh water in there twice a day, but then she tips and the water gets all mixed up anyway lol. Oh well.

You should start a thread to find names and of course post pictures on this thread please!!!!

NatureFish
????

We aren't naming her because our loss is so fresh still, and we were so attached to him. We care about her too, but, by not naming her (at least for the time being) maybe we won't get quite so attached.

I have a fuzzy picture. I will try to get another one though.

We aren't naming her because our loss is so fresh still, and we were so attached to him. We care about her too, but, by not naming her (at least for the time being) maybe we won't get quite so attached.

That's why I thought you weren't going to name her. Maybe she'll get a name after a while.

NatureFish
????

I'm still going to call her Violet if you don't mind ;) I can't help myself, I name just about everything lol.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I name everything too! Lol if I had a pet fly I'd probably name that too!

NatureFish
????

She would probably be ok in the catfish tank. They are unlikely to bother her, and she is not very likely to bother them. Female bettas are not nearly as aggressive as the boys are, generally. Always exceptions, of course, but she'd probably do fine with the catfish.

She would probably be ok in the catfish tank. They are unlikely to bother her, and she is not very likely to bother them. Female bettas are not nearly as aggressive as the boys are, generally. Always exceptions, of course, but she'd probably do fine with the catfish.

Also the catfish are fast!

That's why I thought you weren't going to name her. Maybe she'll get a name after a while.

NatureFish
????

Exactly :) We care about her a lot and want her to do well and have a nice long life, but, she is not getting a name at the moment.

I'm still going to call her Violet if you don't mind ;) I can't help myself, I name just about everything lol.

Haha that's fine. I like that name a lot. If we name her, I may name her that :)

They already hung out for several hours at least while I was sleeping since the floating cup tipped in... she's tipped 4 times already. All of the other times I had her back in within a minute or two but the second time was while I was sleeping. That's why I wanted her floating in the catfish tank and not the tank we are making sure the cycle is good to go, that would hurt her if she tipped in there since we've dosed it with ammonia!

I am not sure if they got along or not, but, when I found her, she seemed to be minding her own business in there. :) This is a 5g tank, eventually they'll all be in a 10g so even better! :)

Also the catfish are fast!

They should be named Zippy 1-7 LOL

They are so fast. We weren't naming them originally since they look all the same (although they are slightly varying in size some of them)... but they're very cute. So adorable.

Back
Top Bottom