I think my mollie has ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The spots are little crustacean type things that the new little ich critters hatch from. They are free swimming now and looking for a fish to live on....that's why the water changes are needed during the process. When you have gone at lease 4 days without seeing any new spots...then they are gone. Have you raised the temp in the tank? That will make it so they can't latch onto any of your fish while free swimming.

I had mollies breading in my 90 b4 it was converted to salt in a planted tank and I raise the temp for like a month an it got rid of it

I have turned it up to 81 so far. I'll raise it today since I will be home & leave it there for a while & do water changes as well.
I have a friend that is restocking her tank & I am buying her fish from her. How long should I wait to add them? I don't have another tank to put them in & I don't want to loose them. Reading all kinds if things online about time frame.

Also do I need to keep using the quick cure daily for about another week? If so do I put carbon filters back in 24 hours after last dose?

If it were me...I'd get the temp up and do big water changes and not add any more meds...but thats me. ;-). I've read that the ich parasites can't latch on at 84 and can't reproduce at all at 86. If you can fix the issue without additives, that's usually best for your fish. What type of fish will you be adding?

So when do you think I could add hers? Like I said I don't want to loose any fish but I don't want her to sell to anyone else. She can keep until she gets other fish then will not be able to leave them together.

I would honestly say do what you need to do. ;-). I would do a large water change and be sure to temp match...and get the temp up to at least 84. Be sure to acclimate the new fish and try to make the transition as stress free as possible....a stressed fish is way more likely to get ich if it's present. By doing the large water change...you'll get rid of a large percentage of the free swimmers...but not all. They can only survive so long without a host fish. If the temp is up at 84... The free swimmers left shouldn't be able to attach. A little aquarium salt would help as well...

Ok thanks. So with meds in there can I add salt? What if put the carbon filters back in & leave for day or so then add salt? Would that be better?

I don't think it would hurt...but I would put your carbon back in and let it run first...just in case. I've never used that medication before. ;-). If you had to add t daily...it may just take a few hours with your carbon back in to filter it all out...depending on your filter.

Joining in on the Ich fun! Let me talk about my experience with Ich...the first time I had Ich, I was a new aquarium owner, didn't know what the heck I was doing and they all ended up dying. I lost about 8 fish in that go-around. Fast forward to my next Ich outbreak. I thought I had stuff together and I would be able to handle the outbreak. So I added Ich medication, took out the filter, and left the temperature alone. Well, it was working, but very slowly. As a result, I lost a fish or two and the others, while looking better, were still not great. So I decided to crank the heat. Bad idea. I set the tank around 80-81, and made sure the heater was acclimated properly. Light shut off and an hour or two later, the tank was 80. Perfect. Well, I left for the night and came back home to a tank that was 84 and a mass grave on the surface of the water. I lost all my fish and that almost made me leave the hobby. SO ANYWAYS...

Don't crank the temperature much past 80 if you are doing medication...medication is tough on a fish on it's own...and usually, that combined with cranking the temp up can have bad effects. My third and final Ich outbreak was MUCH better. I simply used Aquarium salt and turned the temp to up around 80-81. I put in an extra tablespoon (it was 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons...I had 20 gallon tank and put in 5 tablespoons). After the Ich had cleared, out of the 12 fish I had in the tank, I lost 2...which is not bad at all. I left the filter in and didn't have to worry about the medication. Try salt and some heat first.

Ok thanks so much. I put the carbon back in today so tomorrow I will add the salt. Surely that's enough time to get it out. I also did about 25-30% water change today too. The one Molly that I think had it is MUCH better tonight. She is swimming with the others like she usually does.

Jmd said:
Ok thanks so much. I put the carbon back in today so tomorrow I will add the salt. Surely that's enough time to get it out. I also did about 25-30% water change today too. The one Molly that I think had it is MUCH better tonight. She is swimming with the others like she usually does.

Yeah! :). Great news...let us know how the new fish do.

I will. Thank you so much for all the help. I'm still new so I tend to freak a little. Lol. It's good to be able to talk to you guys, makes me calm down & make it they. Lol.

Jmd said:
I will. Thank you so much for all the help. I'm still new so I tend to freak a little. Lol. It's good to be able to talk to you guys, makes me calm down & make it they. Lol.

There is a ton to learn from everyone on here...I've absorbed it like a sponge since I joined...and I still read for at least a few hours each day. Getting ready to build tank 3 and 4 in our house...it gets addicting!

There IS so much useful info on here. I love this forum. You guys are very helpful. ? I would love to have more tanks but no room until I build my house. :( lol.

Back
Top Bottom