I think we have a case of fin rot please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kara22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got a new 125 gal tank. This tank came with two large plecos about ten tetras three swordtail, 3 platys, 1 pictus catcatfish and an Angelfish also a Chinese already eater. I added all these fish to my 110 gal tank which already included..5 plecos one larger than a foot long one large one Med and two small, also a bala shark, 2 black fin catfish sharks, 2 pictus catfish, 1 bircher (lungfish), 1 upsidedown cat fish, and a clown loach. Now I know this is wayyy overstocked but was only gonna b a couple weeks until everyone got switched over. I moved all of these fish into the 125 gal. To do this transfer I filled the tank with water let it cycle for two days, emptied half of the water then added half of the water From the 110gal. I then transfered everyone over to the 125. I did however put the Chinese Algea eater in my 55gal which only has convict cichlids. But bak to the 125 gal. I first noticed my XL plecos fins right after we moved him over I thought this was from the move. However two days later my angel is lying on the ground and fins are very stringy. Almost all others are showing signs too. 1 swordtail is missing tail, 1 tetra is faded, 3 black tetras are almost see thru on their bak fins (were like tht wen I got them thought it was normal) my black fin catfish sharks have just a couple chunks out of tailfin and everyone's fins seem to be wearing away from edges. The Ph is 7.6, ammonia is less than .5 if any, nitrate is zero, Kh is 196.9, I cannot get the gh with my liquid test kit but on the strips it reads 180 which is the highest option. I have well water but buy distilled for my tanks. I thought adding half of the 110 gal tanks water would balanceout the new tank. It did not. I really think these new fish have brought fin rot to my tanks I need to treat my fish but I am afraid the water is too hard to affectively treaty please give any and all advice u have I would love to get this under control so we can continue the move safely. Also if u have any favorite or recommended treatments please please let me know I appreciate your time and thank you for reading !!!! I look forward to any and all replies

Thank u
Kara

hi kara.
i have just brought a fully stoked tank from friend, a couple of days ago i found that one of the fish a large molly looks like it has fungus growing on its back, anyway after doing a lot of reading, i have gone out and brought a 14lt nursing tank to put the molly in, some aquarium salt, i read that this salt is really good for healing all sort of fish illnesses including fin rot , and to turn the heat up in tank to about 28 degrees, however if you have sensitive fish like loaches tetras then its not a good idea to use aquarium salt however they say to lower the amount of salt used but then its less effective, but please read up on it, its very interesting and may help, i will let everyone know how i get on with using the salt for my molly, good luck and hope you get fish well again

dizzy:)

Ok thank you for ur help I will let u kno if this helps

Kara22 said:
So I just got a new 125 gal tank. This tank came with two large plecos about ten tetras three swordtail, 3 platys, 1 pictus catcatfish and an Angelfish also a Chinese already eater. I added all these fish to my 110 gal tank which already included..5 plecos one larger than a foot long one large one Med and two small, also a bala shark, 2 black fin catfish sharks, 2 pictus catfish, 1 bircher (lungfish), 1 upsidedown cat fish, and a clown loach. Now I know this is wayyy overstocked but was only gonna b a couple weeks until everyone got switched over. I moved all of these fish into the 125 gal. To do this transfer I filled the tank with water let it cycle for two days, emptied half of the water then added half of the water From the 110gal. I then transfered everyone over to the 125. I did however put the Chinese Algea eater in my 55gal which only has convict cichlids. But bak to the 125 gal. I first noticed my XL plecos fins right after we moved him over I thought this was from the move. However two days later my angel is lying on the ground and fins are very stringy. Almost all others are showing signs too. 1 swordtail is missing tail, 1 tetra is faded, 3 black tetras are almost see thru on their bak fins (were like tht wen I got them thought it was normal) my black fin catfish sharks have just a couple chunks out of tailfin and everyone's fins seem to be wearing away from edges. The Ph is 7.6, ammonia is less than .5 if any, nitrate is zero, Kh is 196.9, I cannot get the gh with my liquid test kit but on the strips it reads 180 which is the highest option. I have well water but buy distilled for my tanks. I thought adding half of the 110 gal tanks water would balanceout the new tank. It did not. I really think these new fish have brought fin rot to my tanks I need to treat my fish but I am afraid the water is too hard to affectively treaty please give any and all advice u have I would love to get this under control so we can continue the move safely. Also if u have any favorite or recommended treatments please please let me know I appreciate your time and thank you for reading !!!! I look forward to any and all replies

Thank u
Kara

Welcome to AA!
What do the fins look like? Blunt cuts or melted with black/white edges?
What is the nitrIte reading?
What tank has the established filter on it?
Fin rot is usually brought on by poor water conditions and is (usually) curable with lots of clean water.

Fins are a little of both on the plecos they are blunt cuts but on the platys they are looking melted it's really hard to tell. They all have their back fins outlined in clear as if they are fading away. The filter on the 125 that is being used came with the tank and was in use wen I purchased it I changed carbon and white filter fiber. The nitrate reading is zero with my liquid test kit, very slight coloration on test strips.

Thank u for your time and for welcoming me here :)

Kara22 said:
Fins are a little of both on the plecos they are blunt cuts but on the platys they are looking melted it's really hard to tell. They all have their back fins outlined in clear as if they are fading away. The filter on the 125 that is being used came with the tank and was in use wen I purchased it I changed carbon and white filter fiber. The nitrate reading is zero with my liquid test kit, very slight coloration on test strips.

Thank u for your time and for welcoming me here :)

Can you keep an eye out for aggression? Larger plecos in particular are pretty grumpy when it comes to their own kind. Having that many in a tank could easily cause fights and stress for them.
A clear edge on a fin is usually an indication it's growing back. It starts off clear and gains color later on.
The nitrAte is 0 but what about nitrIte?
After changing media (even if it's just carbon) you can experience a cycle. Along with adding other fish and the move, expect ammonia and nitrite to creep up. You might find yourself doing large daily water changes to keep it as low as possible and to aid the healing if the fins.

Ok so the nitrIte is zero and nitrAte has a very slight color ans the plecos are showing some aggression towards each other the biggest one not so much anymore. When I first added the two newest ones tht came with the tank he was aggressive but stopped. Now the reg/ LG sizes are bumping onto each other. But the biggest Pleco is looking the worst (other than the angel who is still laying in the tank)the big Pleco, all of his fins are tore up, and I just noticed some are bloody looking, they hav red on the edges of the cuts. I think I'm going to remove the bircher (lungfish) because I think he may be stressing everyone out as well. He has eaten a neon and a cardinal tetra and possibly the sword fishes tail so I will are if that helps but any other suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks again
Kara

Om so I am very sad for this Angelfish I kinda think I should put her out of her misery but I just don't know if she can be saved she has her head against the glass and her "skin" if she has it looks to be peeling off I just don't kno wht to do she looks so sad and helpless :(

Im sorry.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html
This will help you decide the best method.
IMO your going to have to separate offenders and possibly rehome some of the plecs. As you know they get rather large and IMO there should be only 1, possibly 2, per 125g.
If they get worse let us know. Fin rot can be from stress but can also be an indiaction of something much worse - columnaris comes to mind.

Ok I did I froze water and had a friend put her in so she is gone. Also I am working on rehoming these guys because I agree. I just accumulated them and now I'm stuck for now noone will want a possibly/probably sick fish and I wouldn't want to give them one. I will probably end up setting up my extra tanks tomoro to relieve some stress. Within the week what do you think about that idea? Because I know new water is stressful too. Ugh I definitely screwed myself and these poor fish. Let me know what u think I should do.

Thank u so much for keeping up with us :)

Sorry for your loss.

Separating is a good idea IMO. New water isn't a problem but a cycling tank is. If you separate the used media between the tanks it will help cycle all of them. The nitrifying bacteria mostly colonizes the filter then substrate. The amount in the water is miniscule.
These will help.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Ok so I just read most of the stuff on there but I now have an overly stocked improperly cycled tank full of unhealthy fish. Should I use some media from the 110gal in the 125tank)the as well as the tanks I will be setting up for the plecs. The canister filter tht came with the 125tank still has original foam pads (fine and course) and original algae ceramic pieces. So I'm asking is that enough or should I add a filter from the 110gal. This seems like it would be too much but apparently I don't know as much as I thought I did. I really do appreciate all of your help.

Also I have pictures of some fish and my dead angel as a reference to help in saving the rest. Is there a way to post pics on here? I see u have some just thought pics might help.

If the filter stayed wet during the move most likely most of the bacteria will still be alive. Once something drys out it bacteria will have perished. What i would do is get all the used, wet media and divide it between all the tanks that need it. You will be doing a fish in cycle on all of them but (hopefully) it wont last too long for you because of the seeded media. There is no such thing as too much filtration. It is actually prefered.

Are you on the app or a computer?

Ok I will be setting up my extra tanks tomorrow am and will do that. I am on my phone but donnot have the appvim just using my browser. Should I get the app to do so? (post pics)

Android but thank u I will find this app and upload pics asap

ForumRunner_20120412_232909.jpg

ForumRunner_20120412_232919.jpg

ForumRunner_20120412_232946.jpg

ForumRunner_20120412_233033.jpg

ForumRunner_20120412_233047.jpg

Ok so these are the best showing ones I will try to get more tomoro of other fish but these are the two worst (angel gone).

The angel in the tank (with the spot on her head) the spot is from her leaning on the glass and stayed on her wen I moved her out. I didn't kno if that meant anything so i thought I should mention it.

Back
Top Bottom