i too have a sick cory!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougdavis208

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Cory came in bunch of 3 which I got from petco.....I KNOW! 2 died or so I hope they did...... 3rd almost met his end but I noticed he was still alive! I can actually pick him up and he won't swim away! Appears paralyzed from mid section to tail. No unusual visually obvious signs of problems. Front fins flip around when startled or wants to move a bit. Breathing. Lays on side but I think only because he tips himself over and can't right himself. Tried regimen of melafix to no avail. All other pre existing cities still healthy as are gouramis and Tetra and otos. Paramaters are zero across the board with ph of 7.5.....ideas?

Petco is a very unreliable place to get fish. :( it could be something wrong with its swim bladder, but that still wouldn't explain the other fish dying...

Sent from my iPhone

I know. Won't buy more that's for sure. Very strange though and can't find a similar situation anywhere on line. Thought I'd try here.

I found a few cases like that, but none of them were very informative. I'll do more research.

Sent from my iPhone

I had the same problem yesterday and I lost 2 of the 5 new Peppered cory cats ones I put in. The other 3 are seemingly healthy. The 2 that passed were very similar in appearance compared to the other three and when I added them they more lethargic and they'd act a little strange at times compared to the others. They had the most metallic color of the 5.
I just did a basic transfer where you warm the bag for 30 mins and pour little bits of tank water at a time.
My guess now after some research is that the other two were genetically related and different that the other 3. I think they may have been more vulnerable to water conditions and stress because of this. I just dropped a good 60 bucks and set up a proper quarantine tank in an attempt to save them but they were too far gone by the time I had it all set up. The first one sank after he passed the second lived a lot longer and so I added Furan 2 in a low dose which caused the one left to breath heavily for some reason but he struggled for an extra 3 hours so maybe it was doing something I'm not sure But I would like to dig further into specifically what might of effected each one. From now one I am going to drip acclimate all incoming fish and quarantine them to monitor them and be able to quickly dose if needed I think it's much less stressful this way and could be the main way of avoiding this problem.
It should also help me understand various illnesses better and how to treat them. almost all established tanks have good and bad bacteria and even parasites and worms it's usually all about stress. It's the same with all organisms if you get stressed you are more prone to the illness and infections that are present in all but sterile environments. The more stressed you get by it the weaker you get unless you have that durable will power and luck on your side.
But it's not about having a sterile environment that's even more dangerous in the long run, you need the good and the bad to battle out and consume one another in order to be hardy and stay healthy. You have to tip the scale so the good has a strong grasp of the environment.

It looks like his tail is now curving toward his side. Still no improvement though. Been 2 weeks now! Something's gotta give......

I had this with some new cories I got a while ago. Posted here with no avail, but I did save 1 of 3.

Tetras and otos were perfectly fine so I was stumped. QTd them and lost 2. They all had curved tails and seemed to be wasting away.

The third one seemed to not improve at all and wasn't really eating in the QT. I gave it a couple weeks before deciding to vacuum my substrate very thoroughly and put him back in with my original healthy cories, knowing they like to school and that stressing him out by separating him wasn't going to make it better. The main tank wasn't infected from before, whatever it was, so I took a chance.

It was worth it though. Cory seemed to feel safer and less stressed. Tail uncurved and he's now almost twice his original size.

I was VERY concerned this was TB as well but I guess it wasn't.

If all your fish are fine, I suggest really cleaning the bottom of the tank very well. I was vacuuming the substrate (sunk the siphon about halfway down into the substrate) every night for a week. I'd do it by sections so I wasn't stirring up too much stuff, but still getting things clean.

Back
Top Bottom