Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BiggDaddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!! I came home from work today and looked in my tank and my Bala shark is covered in white spots...none of my other fish seem to have it !!! It looks like ich to me. i don't know what to really do about it and i can't get any meds til tomorrow. The only thing that i have at home are FURAN 2 Tablets..... please help me on what i should do!!!

Check out the Ich treatment sticky in the sick fish thread. It links to a site that will tell you everything you need to know. Good luck!

If it looks like grains of salt then it is ich. Turn the temp up in the tank to 88F. Do this 1-2 degrees every 6 hours. Add an airstone or lower the water level a bit to create splash. Keep that temp up for 2 weeks AFTER the last spot of ich has gone. Good luck.

i currently have my tank at 78. how should i start raising it.... i have a pic of it now !!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 60
ok man you are the expert..or so i hope lol.. the rising temp wont hurt my other fish ??? sorry to be so retarded but i have never had a problem like this and i really don't want to loose any fish !!!
should i leave the light off???

No the fish won't be harmed as long as you have aeration in the tank or lower the water level a bit. Lights off or on doesn't matter. Lights off will ease the stress of the fish, but lights on may help your temps get up there. Also if you have plants you want to keep on the regular light schedule.

Depending on the severity of the ich, the biggest danger is not getting the temps up high enough. I have only lost fish during the heat treatment when they were too badly infested at the start. The fish's metabolism will be sped up due to the heat. I have always fed normally as they burn their food off faster.

Yes. with elevated temps they will eat more and move quicker. They are cold blooded so their body temp is regulated by the surroundings, the warmer it is the faster they run.

ahhhhhh sorry all i am just worried. is that dumb??? i just like my tank and all the fish in it

Nothing wrong with that at all. My fish are cared for just as well as the warm blooded pets. Some days they get more attention.

Mine too. Perfectly normal. Well at least to us fish people. I find that non fish people tend to think we are a little off. :)

The heat treatment should do the trick. Your fish will adjust to less-than-ideal water temperature a lot better than they will to medication. Make sure you keep your water at the raised temperature long enough to eliminate all of the parasites. Hope things work out for you!

I know what you mean.

I've had fish aquariums for 20 years, and have always used some chemical treatment to get rid of ich the few times I've had to deal with it...

I read on this forum something about turning up the temp to 88 degrees, and low and behold, my tank got ich a couple of weeks ago... so I re-read threads pertaining to ich and everyone seemed confident it would work. After about 36 hours, I got the temp to 88, and by the next day the spots were fewer. I still have the temps up high as it hasn't been two full weeks yet and I want all ich evidence, eggs, paracites... whatever dead before I turn the temps back down. They did great... nobody died.

Good luck

awesome i am in the process now i started at 78 degrees and now currently at 82 degrees...i will keep ya'll posted

thought they were crazy...

I wondered if they were serious at first... what, raise the temp by 10 degrees, that'll kill my fish - are they just kidding??

But I've seen it elsewhere, now have first hand experience with it - just remember to raise it slowly - only a degree or two ever 6 hours.

I think it'll be better for the fish and will probably be easier on the heater too - I burned out a heater once because I tried to raise the aquarium water (empty - no fish) too quickly...

Back
Top Bottom