Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danielt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Think my fish have ich. Just found it now on the platys tail fin and the neon tetras tail fin. Is there a non-chemical way of getting rid as I have an armoured shrimp? Please help.

What is your temp at. If its lower then 80 raise it to 82 to 84 degrees F

danielt said:
Think my fish have ich. Just found it now on the platys tail fin and the neon tetras tail fin. Is there a non-chemical way of getting rid as I have an armoured shrimp? Please help.

Why do you have ich? are you playing with you parameters ? Fixing you problem that cause itch to appear is your first priority. Stess = sickness for fish

I do have a heater, yeah. I've turned it up. And actually, the nitrites are high. I've done water change after water change and I can't get it down. I don't over feed or anything. For a last resort I went to the Los and asked for nitrite remover. He said there's no such thing? My uncle had some once so it does, but I can't find it.

Thank you "mumma.of.2' found this really helpful :) the infected few only have a few spots for now. I just hope it doesn't worsen.

Your nitrate problem can be fix by water change. Just keep at it. I remember that i had to do water change for 12 day every day ,20% just to see a difference in my result . If you have to many fish, give them away. There a site that calculate you aquarium maximum capacity . Sorry i am on my phone,i don't have it, Google it.

I'm on my phone too :p thank you. I don't think I have too many fish. I'll keep the water changes going. It's just depressing when you can't get it down. The fish don't seem stressed (apart from the sudden ich). Again, thank you very much, all of you. I'll keep posted.

All water levels back to normal and only one fish with symptoms. I'll keep the temperature up tho for another week :)

it will worsen always does before it gets better. and raising the temp just to 82 wont get rid of it. at 85f the parasite can not attach itself to a new host (fish). 86f they cant reproduce and at 89 -90 they all die. put your temp between 86-88 for 2 weeks and it should all be gone. there is a sticky at the top of this forum for ich.

Back
Top Bottom