Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtholden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I've done my best. I've been keeping up with the meds, the temp I can't do anything about, no extra heater, changing the water, etc but my goldfish keep getting worse. I heard about the parasite attaching itself on the fish in waves as you get rid of it but it just feels never ending. Maybe i'm just being extra paranoid.

I only have goldfish suffering from ich. I have maybe a teaspoon a gallon of salt in each tank. I got worried that if I went with more it would affect their breathing. I have my black moor isolated in one tank and the other two in the other tank. I wish I could seperate all three but I can't.

Sorry what I was asking is do these tanks with the goldfish have plants, other fish or snails in them? If they do you cant use the higher salt treatment with them in the tank. 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon isn't very much salt. You can safely increase the dosage up to 0.3% salt to kill the ich. What size are the tanks?

Hey. There are only goldfish and no plants, and the one tank with the one goldfish is small but its only temporary because of the ich is a 5 gallon, the goldfish is also quite small maybe 2.5 inches maybe 3. The other two goldfish are in a 20 gallon.

Also thank you for being so active on this site, you've made joining it worthwhile. Your constant willingness to help is encouraging.

dtholden said:
Hey. There are only goldfish and no plants, and the one tank with the one goldfish is small but its only temporary because of the ich is a 5 gallon, the goldfish is also quite small maybe 2.5 inches maybe 3. The other two goldfish are in a 20 gallon.
So you want 0.3% salt. (aquarium or kosher)
0.3% = 0.3 g/100 ml = 3g/Litre
20g/75L x 3 = 225grams of salt
5g/19L x 3 = 57grams of salt
Add it slowly over a few days. Keep up regular water changes and replace removed salt. 50% water change takes out 50% of the salt so you need to add a half dose back in.

As you probably know a 20g tank isn't large enough for 3 goldfish. They need a 40g minimum. Goldfish do most of their growing in the first few years so the more water you can provide them with the healthier they will be and the bigger they can grow. :)

Thanks for the help again! Ya their tanks are temporary. I was going to upgrade them and then they got ick...:/

Back
Top Bottom