Ich :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookielicious

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So Right now...

I have...

a 55 gallon tank with
3 platies, 3 black skirt tetras, 3 silver dollars, 2 blind cave tetras, 1 male guppy, 4 loaches, an african dwarf frog, 2 otocinclus, 3 neon tetras, 3 glow light tetras, and a baby snail in my tank.

I'm sure its ich no doubt about it right now its only visible on a silver dollar and two platies....

I know otos cant handle Rid-ich that well, and im assuming the ich came from transferring them... from a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon to a 55 gallon all together and cycling it all over again...

I'm not sure how the loaches will handle them or the snail...or the frog...

I guess what I am asking is the BEST solution to this problem... I used to have 3 otos but one died during the transfer, and I'm sure it died from stress and the temperature changes....

Oh and I'm going to get my water tested tomorrow, because Petsmart/Petco is closed... So until then BEST SOLUTION POSSIBLE?! :(

I would suggest a water change 25% until u can test the water. So u have any of the old filter media from your previous tanks? That has already established beneficial bacteria in it that help your fish. You can also purchase a water test kit for cheap on ebay, u bought a liquid test kit by API for $17. U need to keep a close eye on your water parameters and do water changes often Si your fish don't die from hi ammonia. Try and feed your fish less to not produce more waste. Waste = high amonia and nitrates. Good luck!

cookielicious said:
So Right now...

I have...

a 55 gallon tank with
3 platies, 3 black skirt tetras, 3 silver dollars, 2 blind cave tetras, 1 male guppy, 4 loaches, an african dwarf frog, 2 otocinclus, 3 neon tetras, 3 glow light tetras, and a baby snail in my tank.

I'm sure its ich no doubt about it right now its only visible on a silver dollar and two platies....

I know otos cant handle Rid-ich that well, and im assuming the ich came from transferring them... from a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon to a 55 gallon all together and cycling it all over again...

I'm not sure how the loaches will handle them or the snail...or the frog...

I guess what I am asking is the BEST solution to this problem... I used to have 3 otos but one died during the transfer, and I'm sure it died from stress and the temperature changes....

Oh and I'm going to get my water tested tomorrow, because Petsmart/Petco is closed... So until then BEST SOLUTION POSSIBLE?! :(

From the advice I've read on here from others is the best treatment is heat. Slowly raise the temp up to 86 over a 24hr period, do a really good vacuum and water change. Keep the temp up for at least a week after the last spot is seen then slowly lower the temp. It will get worse before it gets better because the heat will speed up their life cycle & it can up to 2 wks for it to clear up.

Back
Top Bottom