Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
My poor little loaches have contracted ICH and since I don't have a quarantine with heat I have to treat it in the tank. Since its planted ive heard "Quick Cure" is one of the best treatments for a planted tank. Can anyone recommend it? Or something else?

My poor little loaches have contracted ICH and since I don't have a quarantine with heat I have to treat it in the tank. Since its planted ive heard "Quick Cure" is one of the best treatments for a planted tank. Can anyone recommend it? Or something else?

Try just heat. I'd avoid meds if you can. I beat ich in my 75 with heat and salt. You won't be using salt obviously but the heat may work. 86 degrees would be the temp to hit, slowly of course. Lower your water level to agitate and oxygenate the water. You can throw a air stone in as well. Some meds are harsh and I've heard of some even staining the silicon and decor.

If loches cannot tolerate any kind of salt in the water, I did salt dips when I was combating ich with my guppies. You can look up treatments online, but if memory serves me correctly I would make a salt water solution (with "fresh water" salt) and would allow the fish to swim in this solution for about 15 minutes, then return them to the tank. There are some natural remedies that can help with ich, but they didn't work for me. Ich is usually caused by poor water quality from what I'm told, so you might want to increase the frequency or amount during water changes.

Yeah I've heard the same. I usually do about 35% weekly but it's tough student teaching, going to class, and playing college ball at the same time to be as tedious with the WC's but my levels are all good in regards to A/N/N

Try just heat. I'd avoid meds if you can. I beat ich in my 75 with heat and salt. You won't be using salt obviously but the heat may work. 86 degrees would be the temp to hit, slowly of course. Lower your water level to agitate and oxygenate the water. You can throw a air stone in as well. Some meds are harsh and I've heard of some even staining the silicon and decor.

I am currently using this method. My loaches too have ich =( we must have gotten them from same shop. Kidding! I hope it works. So far I've gotten temp to 82 and everyone (just neons and Khulis) are still live and well. I was referred super ick cure by API (by petsmart) as well but am trying natural way first.

Oh! And WC every 2-3 days.

I'm just nervous letting it run it's course naturally will be fatal. I have a couple of rams that I would hate to get infected

The thing that ended up working for me was the melafix treatment by API. While the natural remedies helped shrink the ich, the melafix got rid of it. I hope the natural remedy works for u though!

As said this is what you should do:
Temperature at least at 84 degrees. Optimal is 86 degrees.

Water changes every day or every other day.

Substrate vacuum/cleaning starting on day 3 of treatment every day or every other day.

Keep a high aeration level in the tank due to lower oxygen levels mainly from higher temperatures.

Keep lights off to reduce any stress.

Make sure they have places to hide in case they're scared.

The use of salt is not necessary nor is recommended.

Good luck!

As said this is what you should do:
Temperature at least at 84 degrees. Optimal is 86 degrees.

Water changes every day or every other day.

Substrate vacuum/cleaning starting on day 3 of treatment every day or every other day.

Keep a high aeration level in the tank due to lower oxygen levels mainly from higher temperatures.

Keep lights off to reduce any stress.

Make sure they have places to hide in case they're scared.

The use of salt is not necessary nor is recommended.

Good luck!

Thanks for the support I will follow this. I used Pima and mela fix and it seemed to make all my fish lethargic and settle at the bottom it was strange. I've only just recently learned there a preventative as opposed to a treatment which it's marketed for. Anyway won't be using those anymore.

Back
Top Bottom