Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makoa59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's been about 4 years since I last fought a case of ich in my tank. My UV's mounting bracket broke, so I removed it about 2 years ago. My clown loaches are pretty well covered. I know some treatments aren't good for clown loaches... I've had some Microbe-Lift Herbtana left over and been using it, but the ich seems to be getting worse... It may have lost its potency, although the smell is still quite strong.

I can't get the tank temp above 77 due to the ambient temperature of the room and my fluval heater only allows me to set the temp to 78. I've added aquarium salt, but not too much, as excessive salt can harm the loaches.

Even if the meds that I have are still good, the bottle says to treat for ten days or longer, until symptoms are gone... Does anyone know of a loach-safe ich med that doesn't contain copper? I don't want to lose another set of clown loaches to another bout with ich. I've already lost a few other fish this week.

Thanks.

90 gal freshwater, Eheim 2217 filter

Thanks. I raised my temp to 84° F... turns out my heater switch was stuck. I also ordered more Microbe-Lift Herbtaba on Amazon.com and delivered the first dose with the new bottle today. - I've had success with it before. It just takes a while.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am. Just bringing it up slowly to avoid shocking them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Has anyone seen a case of ich this bad? I've increased the dosage by 1 teaspoon and my temp is currently at 84.5 deg F. The rest of the fish aren't showing signs of ich anymore. I got my UV sterilizer running and at a slow flow rate. I've never seen ich stringy like that. Could this be something else? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394634046.069833.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394634134.738788.jpg

After extensive research, the white, stringy things are indeed mucus. Sadly, it looks like tail rot is starting too. I may lose one if not the pair.

No, not a stingray. It's a butterfly loach. I love that little guy, he's always working on the glass. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394666035.539677.jpg
They prefer cooler waters and he's been doing well at 76 deg F. I hope he lasts with the temp pushed up to 86-87F.

Well, I lost a few fish... Including the clown loach. The tank appears to be ich-free. I left the temp up to 86 for a few days later and continued treating with the meds. I started lowering the temp slowly so I can do a water change this week... Don't want to shock the fish.

Thank you, everyone. Here's hoping I don't see that stuff again!

Back
Top Bottom