Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
We are doing a fish-in cycle with Danios (we are planning to have a large school of Danios once the tank get's established so I'm getting throw away fish just to cycle). We got 9 of them last Tuesday. On Sunday I noticed a white spot on one of the big ones. Just one spot and I'd almost call it more of a discoloration. It doesn't look like the pictures I have seen of Ich - but I have also never experienced Ich first-hand.

I noticed this for the first time Sunday morning. The spot has not changed at all and I have kept close eye on the other 8 danios - no spots on any of them. They are the only inhabitants of a 75 gallon tank. If it matters, the parameters are pH - 8.2, ammonia, nitites and nitrates are all still reading 0.

Is it Ich?Danio1.jpg

Danio2.jpg

Danio3.jpg

Danio4.jpg

I circled the spot on this one.

Attachments

• Danio2-circle.jpg
    Danio2-circle.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 54
Spoke too soon. Looks like I have another Danio missing an eye. Not sure if this is related.

Attachments

• Danio-noeye.jpg
    Danio-noeye.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 57
Pretty fish.

Not sure on the eye but that spot looks like it could be bacterial infection (columnaris or something). Is it kind like a lesion within the scales and not hairy above the scales?

I wouldn't really call it a lesion... more of just a blemish. Other than the color - you can't really see any difference in the scales. I'll try to get a new pic tonight to compare if it has changed any since this one was taken.

This guy might just go back anyways - he is mean - keeps chasing the smaller Danios around the tank whenever they come into its "area" (which is pretty much the entire center area of the tank).

If this is bacterial it would likely infect the other fish too, right?

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello Loto...

9 fish in a 75 gallon tank is hardly enough to cycle it. I needed that many female guppies to cycle a tank less than half that size. You need a steady source of ammonia and 3 to 4 fish the size of a Danio is needed for every 10 gallons of tank water.

I'd recommend a dozen more Zebras and add a good water filtering plant like Hornwort to help maintain a bit better water conditions.

Just a suggestion, it's your tank.

B

Thanks. I've been figuring we might need mor fish soon. It's been about 10 days now with no ammonia nitrites or nitrates. We did use a used filter from our twenty so I figured that might be keeping the levels undetectable, but have been thinking about adding more. Although I really don't want to put any more fish in this tank until I am sure the tank is not infected with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

New pictures from today. The spot actually looks kind of better - maybe?

But I think he is going back to the store anyways - he is a mean bugger. He chases down every fish in the tank. I'm guessing he might be responsible for that other one missing its eye.

Attachments

• Danio5-Thursday.jpg
    Danio5-Thursday.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Danio6-Thursday.jpg
    Danio6-Thursday.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 45
Still no eye, but other than that normal. He's been eating too

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom