Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have an ich problem. I'm fairly confident. I do not possess a heater with an adjustable thermostat.(its on my xmas list)

I have skirt tetras, a betta,and some shrimp.

How do I solve this problem?
I am not opposed killing off the shrimp in order to save the fish.

Your LFS should carry ich treatment, follow the instructions. People recommend turning up the heat in order to speed up the ich life cycle and treat faster, but you should be able to treat without doing so, it will just take a little longer.
Also cranking the heat alone only works if the tank is empty. As long as there is a host (fish) you need to medicate.
I'm going through this for the first time myself. Make sure the problem is ich for sure before starting any treatment.

Im pretty sure. Little frosted speckles on fins. Hard to tell on bodies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also cranking the heat alone only works if the tank is empty. As long as there is a host (fish) you need to medicate.

None of that is not true, as I explained in the other thread. But for those reading this thread I will explain why. Heat speeds up the life cycle yes, but raising the temp to beyond the parasites threshold (86+) disrupts the life cycle, killing it off. It's as simple as that. There is no need to medicate the vast majority of the time.

Well i dont have/can afford an adjustable heater atm. So sadly meds is the only way right now.

Trust me, if could use the hot saltwater treatment i would

No one said anything about saltwater :). Salt is completely unnecessary for the treatment. However, many report success using salt by itself. What I mean by being unnecessary is that the heat works whether you use salt or not, not that salt in and of itself is an ineffective treatment.

Before I learned of the heat treatment I used quick cure with great success. Only downside is it's tendency to stain silicon and decor blue.

And yes, im sure its ich. Its gotten worse.

Attachments

• 1417647273496.jpg
    1417647273496.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1417647294189.jpg
    1417647294189.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 60
I would go with quick cure cause you'll not notice the blue with those lights :)

I'm only half joking. It's still in the early stages so you have time to not rush to treat them. But I would try to start a treatment within the next few days.

Well i think the salt is more for the fishes healing benefit.

Ill be honest, even without the blue lights which are not always on, I may enjoy the slightest green tint. I like color

I was under the impression tha slightly brackish water for a short time would help

I was under the impression tha slightly brackish water for a short time would help

The assumption there is that any help is needed, and it's not. All I'm saying is use it or don't - it doesn't make one bit of difference.

The assumption there is that any help is needed, and it's not. All I'm saying is use it or don't - it doesn't make one bit of difference.

Depends of the strain. There are ich strains that will go away with salt but not with heat or meds.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Well in future tank ill just have to see.

Thanks aqua.

Depends of the strain. There are ich strains that will go away with salt but not with heat or meds.

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

Yes there are always exceptions to every rule, but those cases are very rare and special consideration must be taken when dealing with them.

Well, due to lack of options, i began medical treatment of my ich. Im using Marineland Ick Remedy because petsmart doesnt carry Kordons Rid-Ich.

I administered the proper dose to my 10gallon fw tank. Earlier today i gravel vacumed during a 30%wc.

I hope all will be well. It says treat for 4 to 6 days. But due to my tank temp being a constant 76.5*, i may make it an even week.

Any thoughts?

Well, due to lack of options, i began medical treatment of my ich. Im using Marineland Ick Remedy because petsmart doesnt carry Kordons Rid-Ich.

I administered the proper dose to my 10gallon fw tank. Earlier today i gravel vacumed during a 30%wc.

I hope all will be well. It says treat for 4 to 6 days. But due to my tank temp being a constant 76.5*, i may make it an even week.

Any thoughts?

Turn off light for this period of time.
Take out any carbon if present in filter and limit stress. I have zero experience with meds against ich but thats just general meds info.

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

I emptied the carbon out. There may be a few pieces left, but i figured id do more harm than good "fondling my filter"

Back
Top Bottom