Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey fish family! I'm struggling with a case of ich right now in my tank. I realized when one of my cherry barbs had white spots on him. I went out and got ich medication yesterday and raised my water tempt to 83 degrees fahrenheit. Now this morning 2 more of my cherry barbs have white spots?!? Is this just a sign that the heat sped of the life of the Ich and it was inevitable. I'm going to continue the medication and do a water change when it is complete but i was just curious as the fish did not have anything on them and then the day after i start medicating them they do/

If the meds don't say to turn up the temp then I wouldn't as high temps & meds often don't mix, follow the instructions on the meds to the letter.
I'd do frequent gravel vacs while you're treating to suck up any Ich spores that fall off the fish.

If the meds don't say to turn up the temp then I wouldn't as high temps & meds often don't mix, follow the instructions on the meds to the letter.
I'd do frequent gravel vacs while you're treating to suck up any Ich spores that fall off the fish.

+1 and don't be surprised if more of your fish show signs of ice because it will free float and once it finds a host its on its way. By raising the heat you were speeding up its life cycle. Hence why suddenly more of your fish had it. Ich is one of those diseases that you treat the whole tank for seeing as it free floats and when you can see it on a fish its too late.

Caleb

+1 and don't be surprised if more of your fish show signs of ice because it will free float and once it finds a host its on its way. By raising the heat you were speeding up its life cycle. Hence why suddenly more of your fish had it. Ich is one of those diseases that you treat the whole tank for seeing as it free floats and when you can see it on a fish its too late.

Caleb

Thank you for your insight also. I have a clown loach and after doing so research I found out that I should try not to use ich medication with then as they are scaleless is this true?

Thank you for your insight also. I have a clown loach and after doing so research I found out that I should try not to use ich medication with then as they are scaleless is this true?

There are some medications that are safe for scaleless fish. You have to be careful and read the labels to make sure it clearly says so and follow the instructions to the dot.

I'd just turn the temp to 86 though. Daily water changes and vacuuming and it wi be gone in no time.

Caleb

Raise the temp to a minimum of 86, I crank mine up to around 88. Keep the lights off. The ich should be gone in a week or so. I treat whole tank. No salt, no meds - my scaleless (clown loaches) are sensitive to the meds. I learned the hard way.

when you say white spots, do you mean little raised granular-shaped white spots...like little grains of salt?

Back
Top Bottom