Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I know i did this to myself by not having a qt tank set up but I did notice white spots on one of my new rainbows (big sigh), I do have rid ich + but I have dosed the tank with prazi pro, can I start my rid ich with the prazi already in the tank, I knew something was going to come up but I just didn't have the time to set up a qt but will in a few weeks as one is cycling I'll try to get a pic of the little guy with the spots And update post if I can get a pic of him. Also the temp is 77 and it's a nightmare to raise but I've read with rid ich + you don't have to raise the temp.

Ich https://imgur.com/a/jBy48

https://imgur.com/F6bgrW4

https://imgur.com/y7lbpKg

I agree with your diagnosis, the little guy has ick. I read up on Rid Ick and it appears that the primary parasite killing agent is diluted Formalin.
I successfully used Formalin to treat Discus suffering from gill flukes, but it was nasty stuff. Made my eyes water during WC's.
I have no idea how the two noted meds would interact, but I definitely would make a large WC prior to dosing with Rid Ick.
My guess is Rid Ick is a good product, and apparently doesn't use copper like other Ick Meds do.

I agree with your diagnosis, the little guy has ick. I read up on Rid Ick and it appears that the primary parasite killing agent is diluted Formalin.
I successfully used Formalin to treat Discus suffering from gill flukes, but it was nasty stuff. Made my eyes water during WC's.
I have no idea how the two noted meds would interact, but I definitely would make a large WC prior to dosing with Rid Ick.
My guess is Rid Ick is a good product, and apparently doesn't use copper like other Ick Meds do.
No rid ich + is formalin and malachite green, I did look up a chart of medicine that were compatible and praziquantel is compatible with malachite green but it doesn't say anything about it being compatible with formalin or rid ich +, I've had a few responses saying I needed to do a 100% water change 50% now 50% in a few hours(which I've never done before) and then dose, I'm also worried about dosing a full dose cause the rainbows are super young and small, I'm kicking myself in the butt so hard right now I know i have to get on this like yesterday but it's 7:30 am and I will wake up my roommates doing the water change ugh.
Compatible https://imgur.com/gallery/PPHgC

Rick
I've had a single fish come down with Ick before and the others were not affected. I just upped the WC's. Of course the noted fish was not severely infested yet, I caught it early.
If the noted fish is the only one infected, it might be better to net that one out, do a quick gravel vac / WC and hope for the best. That might be a better solution rather than medicating the tank.

Rick
I've had a single fish come down with Ick before and the others were not affected. I just upped the WC's. Of course the noted fish was not severely infested yet, I caught it early.
If the noted fish is the only one infected, it might be better to net that one out, do a quick gravel vac / WC and hope for the best. That might be a better solution rather than medicating the tank.
How did you cure the infected fish?
As you can see in the pic he isn't bad has 5 spots

Could I even though I have plants maybe do a half dose of salt raise temp up (even though it's a nightmare to do with my heater) and just do gravel vacs every day or would that not work?
They came out of the same tank so I'm sure I'll see more with it soon grrr

As you know, Ick is always present in small populations in your tank. All it takes is a stressed out fish with a weakened immune system to get things going. The increased WC's don't need to be huge. It's the thorough gravel vacs that dilute the Ick population. Maybe one 5 gal bucket a day. Raising the temp. Speeds up the Icks life cycle, which should shorten the duration of treatment. I've never used salt as a med. I have heard that it might aid in killing the parasite, but I think salt does more to promote slime coat production other than anything else.
Ick spreads like wildfire in smaller, heavily stocked tanks. Yours is neither, and that's good.
I change so much water in my display tank every week that parasitic diseases are rarely an issue.
IMO if you jump on this quick, raise the temp and do the daily gravel vacs you'll be over this in a couple of weeks.

As you know, Ick is always present in small populations in your tank. All it takes is a stressed out fish with a weakened immune system to get things going. The increased WC's don't need to be huge. It's the thorough gravel vacs that dilute the Ick population. Maybe one 5 gal bucket a day. Raising the temp. Speeds up the Icks life cycle, which should shorten the duration of treatment. I've never used salt as a med. I have heard that it might aid in killing the parasite, but I think salt does more to promote slime coat production other than anything else.
Ick spreads like wildfire in smaller, heavily stocked tanks. Yours is neither, and that's good.
I change so much water in my display tank every week that parasitic diseases are rarely an issue.
IMO if you jump on this quick, raise the temp and do the daily gravel vacs you'll be over this in a couple of weeks.
I just did 25% it's so hard to vac my tank now I need to rearrange it badly lol, Temps up to 80
I called aquarium adventure and another place and they both said I will have no issue with those meds affecting my tank badly, I looked again and I now have 3 fish with spots so I'm going to have to go with the medicine route but I'm going to do half a dose for 40 gallons as a 55 gallon tank empty is only approx 48 gallons of water not including decor, substrate etc etc, they said to leave the temp at 77 cause rainbows are finnicky when it comes to oxygen especially them being so small Sigh I'm scared to death.

I have to buy these fish caviar really?? They don't eat hikari freeze dried blood worms[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Checked on the fish when I woke up, rid ich already working as it's spread throughout the tank with the jerk parasites scrambling to find a host bumped the temp up a bit to 82-83 as that's where I feel comfortable with my fish being so small, now I'm assuming it's like before, a waiting game with an everyday pwc and a new dose of rid ich. Grr

Back
Top Bottom