Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dantheburlyman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So to start off I bought some guppy grass about two weeks again and long story short I had a pond snail outbreak keep in mind I don’t have any fish in this ten gallon tank due to it just being a quarantine tank so to try to get rid of the snails I tried the lettuce trick and was successful for a few days but they were just taking over I decided to get a clown loach to help with the problem well I didn’t notice but the fish had ich and only lasted two days and died so now Back to no fish in this tank how do I go about getting the ich out keep in mind this tank has plants and a heater that is not adjustable also I use the same dipping net and gravel vacuum for all 5 of my aquariums I don’t mind taking the aquarium apart and thoroughly cleaning in hot water and the tank can sit empty for awhile if that needs to happen please any suggestions would help also how do I go about using my net and vac and cleaning those also thanks in advance and sorry for talking so much :)

I have treated the past 3 days with medication and done the 25% water changes also I took the dead fish out about 6 hours ago and did another treatment with no fish just snails haha and I want to get rid of them also so maybe cleaning thoroughly will help with that and just let it all dry out also how would you clean your net and gravel vac I also use 5 gallon buckets for water changes I have one for the new water going in and one for when I vacuum

If the tank has no host (fishes) to attach to the ich dies, it has to have a host, I don't think it can attach to snails i may he wrong, but you can treat the tank anyways before introducing fish, but how do you know you have ich you can't see it unless it's on a fish.
Edit : saw the clown loaches died, sad news but also for future reference don't use meds with scaless fish unless it's specific for them the med can kill them like rid ich + did with the 3 clown loaches I had, and don't put a clown loach in a tank under 90 gallons (most say 125).
They also need a group of atleast 3 recommended is 5

Like Rick said 7-10 days with no fish and ich should be dead .
It does have to have a fish for a host although snails are known to host many other diseases...

I am aware now of things I have done wrong due to looking this up on the internet also my lfs sold me this clown loach and told me it would be fine in a 10 gallon for a little bit and then move him to a 55 gallon which I realize now isnt the correct info it was kinda a spare the moment decision on getting it he also told me I can bring him back when he got to big so I just agreed cause I have bought everything from this guy but I am frustrated now and won’t be going back

How do I clean my gravel vac and net and 5 gallon bucket to keep from transferring it to other aquariums? Or will it just die with no host on those items?

How do I clean my gravel vac and net and 5 gallon bucket to keep from transferring it to other aquariums? Or will it just die with no host on those items?
1 part bleach 10 parts water, but there's really no need ich can't survive out if water and will die with no host, or you can use white vinegar if you don't trust the bleach method.
If you do bleach after you dip the nets, vac rinse throughly with water... very thoroughly, then rinse again with water dechlorinated with prime.

Okay I will do that thanks everyone for your help I have learned quite a bit now about this situation

Back
Top Bottom