Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve been noticing new white spots on my fish’s head for maybe a day or two, not sure if it’s normal coloration or a bigger issue. She is very active and behaving normally. I took a picture of her this morning, one of the said spots is above her eye.

Attachments

• 01694DDC-28A1-467E-8E08-39A197C87305.jpg
    01694DDC-28A1-467E-8E08-39A197C87305.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 48
Not all look raised, just a few. Overall her face used to look more gray to me and now it seems to have patches of white speckles but mostly not raised. No new fish or plants.

Your Fish

I’ve been noticing new white spots on my fish’s head for maybe a day or two, not sure if it’s normal coloration or a bigger issue. She is very active and behaving normally. I took a picture of her this morning, one of the said spots is above her eye.

Hello Madison...

How clean are you keeping the tank water? To keep the water livable for your fish, you should be removing and replacing at least half of it weekly. If not, gradually work up this point by changing out a little more every week. The chances of a healthy fish in pure conditions being infected by anything is very remote.

B

I use the API test kit and I tested today, everything is still fine. I last did a 50% water change 2 days ago since I was trying to get rid of high nitrates. Looking at her today she’s probably fine, I looked up some pictures and it doesn’t really look the same. I’m just paranoid because I had to bring her with me to college and my dorm room can get a little cold. At home her water was at 78 degrees and at school even with the heater it’s only able to maintain 74-75 degrees.

Madison...

Nitrates are the end of the nitrogen cycle, so they aren't really toxic to fish unless the level gets considerably higher than 40 ppm and would remain there for several days. As long as you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly and don't feed too much, it's hard to believe a parasite or infection could live in water with a healthy and steady water chemistry.

B

IMO, your fish does not appear sick at first glance just based on the photo. Ich will be very obvious when you see it, and will affect their behavior as well.

Back
Top Bottom