ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dang i cannot win the battle of my 20 gallon planted tank. After i moved out the kenyi chiclid i put in tetras and danios. The first day i also had glass catfish but they had ich so i took them out real quick and then brought em back for more tetras. now i see that only the black skirt tetras have little white dots on them. since its only them so far is it something that they have specific to them, hoping its not ich? i also see i have more blue green algae but thats another topic :)

thanks and if it is ich should i do the heat treatment or chemicals. could tetras and danios survive the heat?

Ich is a parasite and once in a tank, the entire tank must be treated. I would raise the heat to 89 for 2 weeks. Your fish will tolerate it.

Heat worked great for me.Jut get above 87 and wait for two week.Heat it up over a day and cool it back down the same way.If you think its ich it probably is...the heat will fix it and the fish do fine with the temp.

Also some add a little salt while doing this but I didn't bother.

On related note...your heater may not get you there so keep that in mind.I had to go buy another one with higher wattage to get to 88 and I've read where others have had to do the same.

The problem with that is 88 is good,but 86 is very bad and will cause the the ich infestion to get worse faster.

SCFatz said:
Heat worked great for me.Jut get above 87 and wait for two week.Heat it up over a day and cool it back down the same way.If you think its ich it probably is...the heat will fix it and the fish do fine with the temp.

Also some add a little salt while doing this but I didn't bother.

Just remember it's 2 weeks after the last spec of ick is gone. Not just 2 weeks. So it will be longer than 2 weeks. my last battle was a month of 89 degrees, and I now have it again, and have my tank at 87-89 degrees as we speak. Just remember, raise the temp slowly, not all at once. I raised mine over a 2 day period, and the fish are doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom