Ich again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidluvr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you all for your time. I maintain a 60 gallon aquarium obsessively with EXTREMELY well behaved assorted Cichlids. Yes they all come from different regions but despite that - everyone lives harmoniously together. You'd think I had a community tank, because there is virtually ZERO aggression happening. Except for a quick burst of energy for a short lived chase. Otherwise that's it.

Here's my MAJOR problem with my aquarium. I keep getting ich. I have several scaleless fish. So I've trusted Kordon Ich Attack, as it used to be very effective in the past. But now it seems to make my kids sicker. I began to use the ich treatment as one of Electric Blue Acaras suddenly began to hide in the back corner and refuses to eat. Nobody is harassing it. Beforehand I'd been noticing some but not all of my fish were flashing at times. My OCD went into overdrive so I got my most powerful flashlight out to look for dreaded white spots. Unless my eyes were tricking me, I swore I saw a couple white spots on one of my Severums. The other fish were fine and acting alright except for that one EBA who has a much larger buddy. But no spots on anyone but still I medicated with the Ich Attack. My fish seem to react negatively to this stuff. I am going to do a good sized water change today as they're much more active than yesterday. Just wondering if I should remove all my fish, remove the old substrate, clean the tank and then start fresh? I can't understand why my tank keeps getting hit with ich when i am so vigilant with it's care and maintenance. I am never using Kordon ever again for ich control. Raising the temperature stresses my fish out. And with my syndodontis catfish and my clown loaches, I cannot add salt. I had 3 loaches but have already lost 2 of them. Any advice would be appreciated as my tank is my living room and i see everything that happens in there from where I sit. Thank you everyone. Happy fish keeping to all of you.

Are you buying new fish or plants or anything? I get that ich can live in the gills but in all my cases it has come from a recent purchase.

Are you buying new fish or plants or anything? I get that ich can live in the gills but in all my cases it has come from a recent purchase.
New fish probably this time around I think. I purchased quite a few new Cichlids via online. And I did by a tiny Blood Parrot Cichlid less than 2 inches big with a lot of spunk and attitude from one of my lfs. But I noticed his gills pumped so rapidly and hard that one would think his tiny gill plates were about to fly off. It seems tho I never had ich as only 2 fish appeared spotty yet everyone else was fine. Yet I do have1 German Blue Ram who will glance rather violently every now and then. Now I have a worse thing happening. But hoping it was only because they were weak and overly stressed. While performing a water change and re aquascaping, my Red Spotted Turquoise Severum and my favorite Electric Blue Acara each had a violent seizure! A first for my Acara. The Severe is brand new and I'm surprised it survived it's attack it was such a hard hitting seizure. Now everyone seems to be calm and sleeping. Thank you for reaching out to me as this was my very first time posting. I appreciate it!

A quarantine tank will solve all ich problems before they start. I treat all incoming fish with Paragard for 2 weeks then hold for an additional two weeks. Not taking any chances.

In the future, as the above post cites, a qt would be a good idea. Something as simple as a 10 gallon with a sponge filter would work.

As for now, what temperature do you currently keep the fish? Have you tried salt and upping the temperature in the past?

I have tried the salt and heat method but even with extra aeration they became very distressed every time. I always keep their temp at a steady 79 degrees f. My reason for no QT tank is live in a small 1 bedroom apartment with not only my 60 gallon set up but also 3 5 gallon tank with happy male Bettas in each. No problems with them at all. YET! ha ha. I just lack the space for a QT tank but I know it would be wise to have one. Plus I'm on disability so money is extremely tight. I have a cat to take care of as well. I thank you for your time taking out to assist me.

This might be it see inch has three stages the trophont ,tomont ,and thermonts. The trophont stage is like when it is visible on your fish and then u could turn up the heat and medicate and then they disappear you think there gone but the leave the host and go cling on to rocks,elgea any thing which is the tomont stage then when they turn to tomont that's when they can reproduce and that's what it seen like what you have going on

Back
Top Bottom