Ich an fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
Thanks! Make sure you find out what meds shes using. We will try to help!

I knew there was something else I needed to ask lol, I'll find out and post along with the results of the test. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This really had nothing to do with the lfs and everything to do with the consumer.
Maybe, maybe not. Some LFS's do keep their fish in obviously poor conditions. Some don't. Some aquarists do not have the means for a QT, or the knowledge about why it might come in handy.

She could've checked the tanks more carefully for illness prior to her purchase.
Ich OFTEN lurks undetected in the fish's gills, as a low level infestation. You'll never know it's there until the fish gets stressed for some reason (could be a number of things, from water quality to aggression, etc.), the fish's immune response weakens, and then BAM, you have an outbreak.

She could've quarantined the fish prior to entry into her main tank.
True, but not everyone has the means to have a QT. Should we all QT? Yes. But the reality is that it doesn't always happen and at any rate, the goldfish have ich now so it's neither here nor there.

Ich is not really a fatal disease unless you don't take proper steps to eradicate it. By her combining various meds, she might well be the cause of the fish death in this tank.
Without having a heater available for heat treatment or heat/salt treatment (my preference), she's really left with no option other than meds. When used as directed, they can get the fish healthy. Unfortunately, meds can be very hard on the fish, but goldfish are tough and should be able to survive the treatment. Without knowing what meds were used, it's a stab in the dark at best to say that they will or will not work.

Don't be so quick to blame the store. ;)

My comments in blue.

While QT is always a great option, it can't prevent every outbreak of ich since you can have it on your new fish OR your existing fish and you might never know it until something stresses them out. At the same time, I do agree that you can't blame the store for everything that might go wrong with a new fish. The same thing can happen to fish at the store and you would never know they are sick at all until you take a fish home and the stress of the trip sets off an outbreak.

Please, let's get this thread back on topic. This is not a thread about why someone should QT their fish, nor is it a thread about who is to blame for the sick fish. The OP has asked for help with treating a friend's sick fish, and that's really all we need to discuss. It is fine to post opinions and to disagree with one another, but please do so respectfully. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
My comments in blue.

While QT is always a great option, it can't prevent every outbreak of ich since you can have it on your new fish OR your existing fish and you might never know it until something stresses them out. At the same time, I do agree that you can't blame the store for everything that might go wrong with a new fish. The same thing can happen to fish at the store and you would never know they are sick at all until you take a fish home and the stress of the trip sets off an outbreak.

Please, let's get this thread back on topic. This is not a thread about why someone should QT their fish, nor is it a thread about who is to blame for the sick fish. The OP has asked for help with treating a friend's sick fish, and that's really all we need to discuss. It is fine to post opinions and to disagree with one another, but please do so respectfully. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Thank you severum mama :)

Ok so I just tested my friends water,

ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 80-160ppm :0

As soon as the other two showed up fine i had a feeling the nitrate would be high, not that high tho, i've sent my friend a msg saying she needs to do a big (maybe a few) water changes to get that down, was I right to do that? As she might be taking some of the Meds out too but I gathered if the fish are in a toxic environment then the meds couldn't be doing that much help at the moment anyway? Just my thoughts. What do u guys think?

Yes, IMO your friend should be doing several water changes to get the nitrate level down. Unfortunately that means that she will also be removing some of the meds that were used so she may need to treat again, or add a half dose or something. Without knowing what meds were used it's not possible to make a recommendation.

One thing I would suggest for sure is a series of small water changes, rather than drastic large ones. Once the nitrate gets that high, it's possible to harm the fish even more with a drastic change. IMO it is important to bring that level down slowly. It sounds like your friend will want to increase the frequency, and possibly the percentage, of her regular water changes in the future.

severum mama said:
Yes, IMO your friend should be doing several water changes to get the nitrate level down. Unfortunately that means that she will also be removing some of the meds that were used so she may need to treat again, or add a half dose or something. Without knowing what meds were used it's not possible to make a recommendation.

One thing I would suggest for sure is a series of small water changes, rather than drastic large ones. Once the nitrate gets that high, it's possible to harm the fish even more with a drastic change. IMO it is important to bring that level down slowly. It sounds like your friend will want to increase the frequency, and possibly the percentage, of her regular water changes in the future.

Yeah I did ask what meds she's using just waiting for a reply from her now so will post on the thread what she's using :) and I'll be sure to let her know small pwc instead of larger ones.
And I agree definitely needs to up the frequency of her water change. Thank you :)

Wow-thats really high for nitrates! Your a good friend for trying to help with her fish. I would suggest she start at 50% pwc (temp match plus water conditioner) and then retest. Followed by another 50% & retest. This may take a couple of pwcs to get the nitrates down to 20ppm (less is better esp with goldfish). Correcting this will allow for the fin rot to heal over time with no special treatment except good water unless its very severe (dont know without pics). Most people make the assumption that goldfish are very hardy. Fancies are very suseptible to their water conditions. Let us know on meds!

LyndaB said:
You can always suggest that your friend join the forum. (y)

Already have, she didn't seem that interested but she didn't say no either so there's still a chance. One good thing tho I've Persuaded her to buy her own test kit :)

jlk said:
Wow-thats really high for nitrates! Your a good friend for trying to help with her fish. I would suggest she start at 50% pwc (temp match plus water conditioner) and then retest. Followed by another 50% & retest. This may take a couple of pwcs to get the nitrates down to 20ppm (less is better esp with goldfish). Correcting this will allow for the fin rot to heal over time with no special treatment except good water unless its very severe (dont know without pics). Most people make the assumption that goldfish are very hardy. Fancies are very suseptible to their water conditions. Let us know on meds!

That's exactly my first words when I tested, WOW! It was lucky really I wouldn't of known about her fish if she didn't post on Facebook lol. Yeah will post name of meds when I get them, the thing is I think she works nights so might not get a reply till tomorrow. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom