Ich an fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrwizard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello every1, I have a lady friend who has some fancy goldfish, the most recent one she bought brought ich into her tank so she started treatment for it, now she's noticed some of them have signs of fin rot, but her problem is the ich treatment doesn't finish til Saturday and she's worried they won't survive the fin rot, is there any medicines out there that enables her to treat both diseases at the same time?? Thanks for any replies :)

No-one?? Another question, will it be ok if she treats for both without overdosing the tank with medicine.

She doesn't need meds at all. She just needs to do water changes. Fin rot is usually a symptom of poor water params. Do you know what her readings are?

To treat ich, she can turn the heat up to 86 slowly, add an airstone to increase oxygenation and do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spores from the substrate.

What size tank and how many goldfish does she have?

Oh just a side note, try a little patience when it comes to waiting for a response. According to the time stamp, you posted the first response at 7:30 AM and then 2 more posts before an hour was up. Sometimes you just have to wait to get help.

LyndaB said:
She doesn't need meds at all. She just needs to do water changes. Fin rot is usually a symptom of poor water params. Do you know what her readings are?

To treat ich, she can turn the heat up to 86 slowly, add an airstone to increase oxygenation and do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spores from the substrate.

Oh just a side note, try a little patience when it comes to waiting for a response. According to the time stamp, you posted the first response at 7:30 AM and then 2 more posts before an hour was up. Sometimes you just have to wait to get help.

I've been reading up since I posted and I've read the fin rot could be stress related caused by the ich, could this be true? And sorry no I haven't got a clue what her params are, not even sure if she has a test I might have to see if I can get round there with my test kit. And since there goldfish she has them in coldwater so no heater, that's the first thing I told her to do 2 lol. No idea what her tank size is or how many goldfish she has either sorry, it's my sisters friend I only found out she had a problem with her fish thru Facebook so thought I'd try and help as she seemed quite upset.

And sorry for posting again to soon and being impatient, but when you want to save fish I need answers quickly lol.

Another question Will she overdoes the tank if she treats for both as she's on the verge of doing it??

LyndaB said:

Just found out it's 90gallon and she has 3 fancy goldfish in there not sure how big or small they are tho. Hope this helps.

At least her tank is a suitable size for goldies. ;)

Knowing her params would be really helpful. I've never seen fin rot associated with ich, but I have seen it associated with columnaris.

I don't believe in using meds when you don't have to. Can she at least get a heater to help her fish out?

Hopefully some goldfish folks will come on and share how they treat them for ich, given that they are cool water fish.

I agree on finding out the water parameters. Fin rot in goldfish is caused by poor water quality 99% of the time. Can you possibly find out what shes using to treat ich (if it even is ich & not just symptoms of a bad environment)? Does she have other fish besides the 3 goldfish? Without knowing exactly what is going on (other fish, water par, meds being used), it is a bit difficult to try & figure out the best way to advise you! Please let us know what you find out

jlk said:
I agree on finding out the water parameters. Fin rot in goldfish is caused by poor water quality 99% of the time. Can you possibly find out what shes using to treat ich (if it even is ich & not just symptoms of a bad environment)? Does she have other fish besides the 3 goldfish? Without knowing exactly what is going on (other fish, water par, meds being used), it is a bit difficult to try & figure out the best way to advise you! Please let us know what you find out

I don't think she has any other fish apart from the goldfish, if I was to get her to put some of her tank water in a bottle or some thing then collected it from her the same day and then went home and tested it, would I get the same results as if I was testing the water straight from her tank? And I will try find out wat meds she is using.

LyndaB said:
At least her tank is a suitable size for goldies. ;)

Knowing her params would be really helpful. I've never seen fin rot associated with ich, but I have seen it associated with columnaris.

I don't believe in using meds when you don't have to. Can she at least get a heater to help her fish out?

Hopefully some goldfish folks will come on and share how they treat them for ich, given that they are cool water fish.

I'll see what she can do, she's pretty upset about them so I don't see why she wouldn't/couldn't get a heater for them. thank you for your help :)

Well just found out she's dosing both meds now so not sure what's gonna happen, I did tell her to clean the gravel tho for the ich spores. She said she's gonna go tropical if they all die so I'll be sure to make sure she never goes to the same fish store again.

This really had nothing to do with the lfs and everything to do with the consumer.

She could've checked the tanks more carefully for illness prior to her purchase.

She could've quarantined the fish prior to entry into her main tank.

Ich is not really a fatal disease unless you don't take proper steps to eradicate it. By her combining various meds, she might well be the cause of the fish death in this tank.

Don't be so quick to blame the store. ;)

See what you can find out! If she has no other fish in 90gal & just put the goldfish in, it sounds like the tank is not cycled. Water quality is then going to be a big issue. If you cant test the water at her home, then bringing a sample home in a plastic bottle is your only option. Let us know what the results are & what she is using to treat them.

LyndaB said:
This really had nothing to do with the lfs and everything to do with the consumer.

She could've checked the tanks more carefully for illness prior to her purchase.

She could've quarantined the fish prior to entry into her main tank.

Ich is not really a fatal disease unless you don't take proper steps to eradicate it. By her combining various meds, she might well be the cause of the fish death in this tank.

Don't be so quick to blame the store. ;)

If the fish she bought from the Lfs brought the ich into the tank I think it has everything to do with the store and the conditions they keep the fish in, not everyone knows about illnesses and diseases to look out for, and not everybody knows about quarantining the fish before putting them into the main tank, most people don't know much about all these things, that doesn't mean she's to blame for the quality of fish that a fish store is supplying.

jlk said:
See what you can find out! If she has no other fish in 90gal & just put the goldfish in, it sounds like the tank is not cycled. Water quality is then going to be a big issue. If you cant test the water at her home, then bringing a sample home in a plastic bottle is your only option. Let us know what the results are & what she is using to treat them.

She's had the fish for two years this is the first problem she's ever had so I think the tank is cycled, I'm not 100% on that tho, I guess we'll find out when I test the water for her later. And yeah I sure will let you know the results and meds she's using. Thank you. :)

why are you guys making this so hard? ich (parasite) is nowhere near the same disease as colmunaris (bacterial) infection. goldfish do not need a heater. room temperature water is more than warm enough for a goldfish. many times goldfish at the store will alreadly be teeming with parisites, and stressed out and clamped up do to overcrowiding, it is just a fact of life, pet store fish get sick ALOT more than fish born into your own water. She will just have to finish the treatment course, change that water, wait a day or two, then treat for bacteria infection. There are meds that "claim" to be an all in one med, but lets face it, for 5 dollars at walmart you cant really believe you drop this little tablet in the water then "poof" your fish are healthy again. we need more info and possibly a picture to help you, sometimes you just have to destroy the fish and start again. Once a fish has been weakened by disease to this extent sometimes there is no point in trying to save them, waste of money, waste of dangerous chemicals,and the fish just continues to suffer and slowly die anyways.

Last edited:
Matt68005 said:
why are you guys making this so hard? ich (parasite) is nowhere near the same disease as colmunaris (bacterial) infection. goldfish do not need a heater. room temperature water is more than warm enough for a goldfish. many times goldfish at the store will alreadly be teeming with parisites, and stressed out and clamped up do to overcrowiding, it is just a fact of life, pet store fish get sick ALOT more than fish born into your own water.

To be honest I don't know alot about goldfish, think the only thing I did know was that there coldwater fish or room temp, I was just trying to help out a friend. I'll be testing her water for her tonight so hopefully we'll know a bit more about whats going on in the tank. And I will try get a picture too. Thank you :)

I've just picked up a little bottle of her water so when I get home from work later I will test it and post the results, maybe we can establish what is happening in her tank :)

I've just picked up a little bottle of her water so when I get home from work later I will test it and post the results, maybe we can establish what is happening in her tank :)

Thanks! Make sure you find out what meds shes using. We will try to help!

Back
Top Bottom