Ich and a temple decoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veoris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, my tank recently got an Ich infestation. I've lost 2 of my Neons during treatment. :nono: One of them apparently got pop-eye? Is that normal? He was perfectly fine before the infestation and ich, but can ich/raised temperature/salt cause that?

Anyway.. I have this "temple" decoration, and part of it sort of covers the substrate. I had it nicely settled on the gravel, but then I thought, it might not be a good idea, since if the water doesn't flow to well in there, the ich can possibly survive. I'll attach some photos so you guys can check it out and see what I mean.

I do wonder, if it's covered, will the ich die by itself trapped under there? No right? Thinking back it might have been a bad idea to get this decoration, ich infested or not, but it just looks so good. I want to know what you guys think. I wonder if it actually stops the flow in some areas. That's bad right? Or will it not matter if I really "settle" it into the gravel??

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Temple - Imgur

Skip the meds. Turn your temperature up to 86F slowly and leave it there for 2 weeks. Aerate. The high temp will eventually kill the ICH.

I'm only using Salt. BTW did you check the link? It's images of the decoration I'm iffy about. I sorta need immediate help with that.

Yes I did. 86F will kill the ich. Aerate and perform PWCs every day or every other day while vacuuming the substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I guess I'll have to ask elsewere about my anaerobic/no flow concern...

I notice the water smells a bit. Is this normal? Is it just the raised temperature that is causing it? THe few times I cought a dead fish in there I did a water change that same day. And I've been doing water changes every other day... Still, the smell is there. I wonder if it's just normal and I've never noticed.

Would you recommend me just skipping the salt entirely?

And I want to replace the fish I've lost. Should I do so now that I'm already treating the ich just in case the new fish come with it? Or do you think it will be too stressful for them? For Neons, and/or Cardinals, I mean.

I've been doing the regular water change percentage I do for my 29 gallon tank, which is 16 liters. (That's for 9 neons, 7 harlequins, and 3 (2?) ghost shrimp. Currently I have only 7 Neons (6 and 1 Cardinal.)

What percent of the water should I be changing in your opinion?

Ok, I guess I'll have to ask elsewere about my anaerobic/no flow concern...

I notice the water smells a bit. Is this normal? Is it just the raised temperature that is causing it? THe few times I cought a dead fish in there I did a water change that same day. And I've been doing water changes every other day... Still, the smell is there. I wonder if it's just normal and I've never noticed.

Would you recommend me just skipping the salt entirely?

And I want to replace the fish I've lost. Should I do so now that I'm already treating the ich just in case the new fish come with it? Or do you think it will be too stressful for them? For Neons, and/or Cardinals, I mean.

I've been doing the regular water change percentage I do for my 29 gallon tank, which is 16 liters. (That's for 9 neons, 7 harlequins, and 3 (2?) ghost shrimp. Currently I have only 7 Neons (6 and 1 Cardinal.)

What percent of the water should I be changing in your opinion?
No, a bad smell is not normal. You have something else going on there. What are your water parameters? (i.e. Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and pH).

Do not add more fish yet. You need to solve your ich problem first. As far as PWCs go, I usually change 50-60% a week. I break it down into 2-3 times a week so I do not do it all at the same time.

I do not use salt...I just use heat. There are a few that do use salt. The theory is that salt dehydrates the ich, but, heat alone will work.

If you have not done so yet, you will need a master test kit. Skip the test strips for they are garbage IMO.

Ich that can't find a fish host fish will die. If you are concerned just remove the decor during treatment. If you are concerned about the substrate under the decor, just move it and gently stir the substrate in that area monthly.

Back
Top Bottom