Ich and fin rot treatments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 60 gallon tank has got an ich problem! I've jacked the temp up and that does indeed seem to be working. Most fish don't have any more signs of ich at all. There are still a couple that do though. Both my emerald rainbowfish. Especially the largest and he's also suffering from fin rot. I haven't added anything to the tank except Melafix for his fin rot but that doesn't seem to be helping at all. It's worse actually. I'm wondering if I need to up the water temp some more. I'm not sure of safety levels. I've gotten mixed info from the web. Right now the tank fluctuates between 82 and 84 degrees fahrenheit. Will the warmer water inhibit the fin rot?

The stock is 11 rainbows and 5 cories. levels are...
PH 7.0
ammonia 0 ppm
trites 0
trates 10-20

My 60 gallon tank has got an ich problem! I've jacked the temp up and that does indeed seem to be working. Most fish don't have any more signs of ich at all. There are still a couple that do though. Both my emerald rainbowfish. Especially the largest and he's also suffering from fin rot. I haven't added anything to the tank except Melafix for his fin rot but that doesn't seem to be helping at all. It's worse actually. I'm wondering if I need to up the water temp some more. I'm not sure of safety levels. I've gotten mixed info from the web. Right now the tank fluctuates between 82 and 84 degrees fahrenheit. Will the warmer water inhibit the fin rot?

The stock is 11 rainbows and 5 cories. levels are...
PH 7.0
ammonia 0 ppm
trites 0
trates 10-20

Keep it at 82. Constant water changes. Leave the tank up there for a week after all the ich is off the fish:)

The white spots you see are actually exit wounds were the parasite has left the body and has become free swimming, slowly raise the temp to 86f which will kill the parasite once it's free swimming and maintain daily to every 2nd day water changes for 1 week after you see the last of the white spots on your fish. Make sure your vacuuming your substrate also as the parasite will be contained in it as well. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom