Ich and heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mstoetz1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fish have ich, so I am trying to raise the temp up to 88F but it seems the heater doesn't go up that high. :(

I think its around 85F now. I wonder how you can tell if heaters can do 88F

What kind of heater do you have? Does it have numbers on it? You may have to get an additional heater. Some heaters the readings on the heater and the actual temps it can achieve are two different things. What kind of thermometer do you use? Welcome to AA!

It's made by Aquarium Systems and is 100 watt. The tank is a 20gal. I'm a thermometer than is sitting in the water suction cup'd to the inside glass

Michelle

Last edited:
Are you at the top of the dial yet? It should do the trick for the tank but if not see if you can get another heater or borrow one from someone temporarily.

Yes, its turned up all the way. I can go to get another heater tomorrow... perhaps a 150W or 200W.

It's a pain when some heaters don't live up to what they say they can do. Good luck with the ich, keep us updated on how the fish are doing.

I purchased another 100W but better quality. It's having no problem raising the temperature now.

The heater temp went up slowly from 85 to around 88F in the last 24 hrs. One thing I noticed... 1 out of about 14 of my neons looks pregnant. Is there a parasite or disease or something that would do that?

Here are pics (not so great ones but give an idea):

Pic 1

Pic 2

The fat looking neon is eating and swimming around rather normally too.

Other than that, the three angel fish, rainbow shark, and 13 neons seem ok (with the exception of about 4 fish showing ick).

Actually the neon looks ok except for being "all of a sudden" fat. Its swimming around, eating, etc. No scales sticking out from what I can see.
Michelle

I always use coppersafe to treat ich. I dont like to mess around with my temps like that. Never had any problems getting rid of it in less than a week.

The problem with meds it that they can affect the beneficial bacteria. Not only that but if you have scaleless fish or inverts it definately affects them badly. The heat method doesn't harm the fish at all with extra aeration.

The guppies are they swimming normally? Are they eating? Try feeding some frozen peas, nuked for a couple of seconds and mushed up to bite size portions. If they are constipated it will alleviate the constipation.

Back
Top Bottom