ich cause theory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
as my older posts say my tank had ich its cured now but im wondering what caused it? i have a waterproof camera i stuck in so i could get likke a POV view could that be the reason why

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

Ich is so widespread that many experts feel that it is present in the environment of most aquariums, especially in larger holding tanks, rearing ponds of breeders, collectors, and wholesalers. In fact, just about every aquarium fish will come into contact with this disease or infection at several times in its life. Because it is so widespread, most fish have developed a good immune response against the disease to allow them to fight off the infection before it ever causes any symptoms. Captive fish that develop ich usually get the disease when their immune systems are not functioning as well as they should be because of stress. We know that stress lowers the immune response and when fish are stressed that is when ich is most prevalent.

There are many causes of stress in a fish's life, many of which can be made worse or better by the owner. Water temperature, water quality, not quarantining, tank inhabitants, improper diet, and a variety of other factors all contribute to stress, but one of the most severe causes of stress occurs during shipping and handling of a new fish. Whether coming from the wild or farm-raised, the handling and shipping of the fish from their origin to a wholesaler, then to a retailer, and finally to your home is extremely stressful. With the widespread prevalence of ich, it is no wonder that many newly purchased fish are affected.

it was 24hrs after new fish were added but the new fish were one of the few that survived were they carriers or did they stress the others out

The only people who can truly say they don't have it present in their tanks are perhaps people with brackish aquariums. Neither saltwater (marine) Ich or freshwater Ich can survive the osmotic pressure. The issue, of course, is that there is supposed to be a strain who can survive. ;)

Yeah, nature at work. There's a lot of fish tanks that are kept in warm states in the U.S. My tanks are usually at 80-82 in the WINTER and I live where it gets pretty cold so eventually Ich are going to adapt.

Tim Wheatley said:
Yeah, nature at work. There's a lot of fish tanks that are kept in warm states in the U.S. My tanks are usually at 80-82 in the WINTER and I live where it gets pretty cold so eventually Ich are going to adapt.

yesh i live up in RI and ive only had tank sence Nov so i wonder what summer will throw at mme

Well this past summer the AC kept my tanks at about 80. My main issue in the winter is that we don't control our heat. It gets really hot where we live. It's nice to have free heating but it seems silly to open the door to cool off.

i see what you mean there my summers arnt to bad indoors its usually bewteen 75-80

Back
Top Bottom