Ich driving me crazy!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chikadee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I got my dwarf puffers about two months ago, I put them in and noticed there was some ich, so i cranked the temps up and added salt, after a week and a half, everything looked fine so i lowered the temps. Then a week later, ich was back, this time i cranked temps up for two weeks and everything looked fine and i lowered the temps again. Now after another two weeks, ich is back AGAIN!!! How can i tell when it's gone so i can lower the temps? I am at my wits end!

Did you thoroughly vacuum cleaned your tank? Salt will not kill efficiently all ich, and especially not in the cyst period. Google on ich to understand how it works. You need to get rid of as much cysts as possible.

The high temps will work, but need to kept high for around 2 weeks or so AFTER the last spot. What temp did you keep the tank at, and did you double check it with a thermometer? And what level of salt? Salt WILL work, but it must be over 1.002 sg. I think you read my ich article, but in case you didn't, you'll find it in the articles section.

LOL

I think the reason salt isn't always efficient astro, is because folks don't add the correct amounts. A tablespoon a gallon just isn't enough and many folks don't actually check SG, so its guesswork for the most part. And guesswork doesn't always cut it.

I turned it up to 86 degrees. I guess my mistake was thinking that two weeks after the initial spot would be enough, I will leave the heat on for three weeks this time. Also, I QTed the fish that were showing signs of ich, and so far the others are ok... am i silly to hope that the other fish won't get it?

am i silly to hope that the other fish won't get it?
There's a chance the other fish will be fine. What other fish are in the main tank? If it is just the puffers, you may want to treat the whole tank.

Back
Top Bottom