Ich emergency!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauritastlouis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Made a mistake and bought some Anacharis from petsmart. Broke it up and put it into 2 tanks (10 gallon). This morning, my 10 gallon is showing ich. Problem is, because of the specs of both tanks (other thus far is fine), I have no idea how to treat:

10 gallon:
Plants: anacharis, anubias hastifolia, water wisteria, javafern (windelov) narrow leaf java fern, Jungle val (i think) a small shoot off of a wendetti (sp) crypt that I added from my other thank on a whim just to see what happened and a random plant I can't seem to ID (think it's an undulated crypt or a sword plant of some type).

Fish: Betta, a small school of neons and 2 albino cories
Invert: 1 Nerite snail

temp: 80 degrees
Filter Penguin Biowheel 100B

29 gallon:
Plants: anacharis, water wisteria, javafern (windelove), jungle val (again, I think), Wendetti Crypt (florida sunset), Aponogeton longiplumulosus (i think, could be some other species in that family) and a lot more of the unknown sword/crypt as described above
fish: glofish, paradise fish, dojo loach (yes, I know he totally will need a new home), cherry barbs, one remaining red irian rainbowfish.
Invert: 1 Nerite Snail

The 29 gallon is thus far fine, but I think I will eventually have to treat it too. How on earth do I treat this when I have anti-copper inverts, anti-salt plants and anti-heat tetras??????

THe LFS told me to get quick cure, but what do I do with the snails? If I tank them out, then I will have to eventually put them back in, which could reinfect the tank (or kill them anyways with the residue from the meds)...

PLEASE HELP!!!

I haven't had a chance to test water today because I have 2 little imps that are extra crazy today but the other day Ammonia and Nitrite were 0, nitrate was between 10-20 on both tanks. PH is usually around 8.0ish on both tanks... I will retest when I can...:banghead:

You can treat ich with just heat. The tetras will be fine, just increase the temp slowly over a day or two (increase it 1-2 degrees every 6 hours or so) until it gets to 86 degrees. Do a water change with substrate vacuum every couple of days to suck up the ich spores. Keep the heat up for a week after you see the last of the spots, then you can start turning heat down again slowly.

Back
Top Bottom