Ich Emergency!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaThanYou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my 20g contracted ich, and about 6/16 fish have it. I have 2 otos in the tank and I'm using Jungle Ich Clear and it says to use a half dose for otos but I'm not sure the medicine is doing anything now! What do I do? Should I put the otos in my 5g with the baby platies or keep treating with half doses?! ?

~ BettaThanYou

Please respond right away this is an emergency and I could possibly those all fish in the 20g.

~ BettaThanYou

You need a new heater then because the best way to treat ich is with heat or heat and meds combined.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You need a new heater then because the best way to treat ich is with heat or heat and meds combined.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This can be a tricky step. Follow instructions directly for meds. Regardless I would still consider an adjustable heater just for convenience.

Caleb

This can be a tricky step. Follow instructions directly for meds. Regardless I would still consider an adjustable heater just for convenience.

Caleb

Thanks Caleb. I'm using a half dose of Jungle Ich Cure, and I really hope it works. It says to use one pill for each 10 gallons so I would use 2, but instead I'm using 1 because it also says to use a half dose for small or scaleless fish (tetras & otos). I've gotten rid of ich before, but this was before my tank was this populated. The platies are clamping their fins (just like last time! They're survivors from the last ich epidemic about a year ago.) I also have a pretty powerful filter (Aqua-Tech 20-40 gallon) so it should hopefully oxygenate it enough. The otos seem to be okay so far...I've only noticed one platy scratching itself.

~ BettaThanYou

I will definitely invest in an adjustable heater as well.

~ BettaThanYou

do as many water changes as the meds will allow. This is because ich will free float in the water looking for new hosts, by doing water changes you can remove a substantial amount of floaters.

And this isn't your first go-around with ich either.... I'd look at a quarantine tank in your future. Put any new arrivals in that tank to be monitored for around 2-3 weeks to make sure they are free of disease. A little preventive measures can prevent all this hassle. I didn't believe in it until I got a severe case of columnaris. Now it's common practice. Besides, one day when you get guys like this, you want to keep your tank as clean as possible:
http://i.imgur.com/hYN7g7c.jpg

A quarantine tank can just be a simple: filter, heater, and some PVC/fake plants for hiding places. It's temporary so nothing special.

Caleb

do as many water changes as the meds will allow. This is because ich will free float in the water looking for new hosts, by doing water changes you can remove a substantial amount of floaters.

And this isn't your first go-around with ich either.... I'd look at a quarantine tank in your future. Put any new arrivals in that tank to be monitored for around 2-3 weeks to make sure they are free of disease. A little preventive measures can prevent all this hassle. I didn't believe in it until I got a severe case of columnaris. Now it's common practice. Besides, one day when you get guys like this, you want to keep your tank as clean as possible:
http://i.imgur.com/hYN7g7c.jpg

A quarantine tank can just be a simple: filter, heater, and some PVC/fake plants for hiding places. It's temporary so nothing special.

Caleb

Ah. It doesn't say anything about water changes in the instructions. Do you think a 20% water change would be ok? Too much? I will probably get a quarantine tank after this ich outbreak. Thanks for all your help.

~ BettaThanYou

Ah. It doesn't say anything about water changes in the instructions. Do you think a 20% water change would be ok? Too much? I will probably get a quarantine tank after this ich outbreak. Thanks for all your help.

~ BettaThanYou

Indeed.

If your instructions are not clear I would change 50 even 75%

Caleb

Indeed.

If your instructions are not clear I would change 50 even 75%

Caleb

Okay! I'll try to siphon as much as I can. ☺️ Thanks so so so much for all your help! I'll try to do about 75% tomorrow.

~ BettaThanYou

Back
Top Bottom