Ich, Heat, Platys- Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ah, winter has come, and Christmas is near!

Yet my 10 gallon is not in good shape! My three Platys have ich, I would say, judging by the spots, about 40% into that stage. One of them, the one with the sickness nobody could solve, probably started it due to stress.

My parameters are as follows, I use the API kit-

Ammo- 0

Nitri- 0

Nitra- 10-20

PH- 7.6

So, I also have no heater in this tank. Bad idea, I know. My lights keep the tank at 82 in the day and with them off the tank is at 78 in the night. I live in Florida, so I didn't think the 10g would be an issue. Oops.

Anyways, I'm getting a heater tommorow from Petco. What is a good heater, $25 or under, that they carry?

Also, the water drops to 75 at night now due to the cold. Would it be ok to leave my tank lights on tonight (heat)? Or will it stress the fish?

Thanks,

QP

Attachments

• image-3050543460.jpg
    image-3050543460.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 56
Any heater that's adjustable bc u may want to go the salt/heat method. The changes in temp could have brought on the ich

Yep, it's what I'm doing. Hmmm, is anything adjustable for a 10g $25 or under? My heaters in the other tanks came free.

Also, my male is bullying a female for some reason. Normal?

QP

QuietPlotter said:
Ah, winter has come, and Christmas is near!

Yet my 10 gallon is not in good shape! My three Platys have ich, I would say, judging by the spots, about 40% into that stage. One of them, the one with the sickness nobody could solve, probably started it due to stress.

My parameters are as follows, I use the API kit-

Ammo- 0

Nitri- 0

Nitra- 10-20

PH- 7.6

So, I also have no heater in this tank. Bad idea, I know. My lights keep the tank at 82 in the day and with them off the tank is at 78 in the night. I live in Florida, so I didn't think the 10g would be an issue. Oops.

Anyways, I'm getting a heater tommorow from Petco. What is a good heater, $25 or under, that they carry?

Also, the water drops to 75 at night now due to the cold. Would it be ok to leave my tank lights on tonight (heat)? Or will it stress the fish?

Thanks,

QP

First thing you need to do is get a heater and some aquarium salt.
Slowly increase the temp up to 86-88F over a day.
Add 1 flat tablespoon of salt per 5 gals of water. Add it slowly over the course of a day.
Do more frequent PWC to help remove the ich spores. Replace the salt taken out buy the PWC (if you take out 5gal you have taken out one tablespoon so you need to add one back with the new water).
Keep the temp and the salt going for 2 weeks even if the ich appears to be gone.
After the two weeks slowly decrease the temp and remove the salt with PWC.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Yep, I am already treating, been doing so since Sunday.

Getting heater tommorow.

Will the fish be ok tonight lights on?

I got my adjustable heater at PetSmart for around 20 dollars... I think it's their brand but it works well

Back
Top Bottom