Ich Heat treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I spotted white spots on some of my neons. Cranking the temp up to 88 degrees is my plan, but will my ghost shrimp be ok with this temperature???

Edit: its a 29 gal planted tank, 10 black skirts (not infected), 7 ghost shrimp (i think...they aee good at hiding), 20 neon tetras(3 have spots), and 2 pond snails. TopFin 30 filter, fluval M Series heater that goes up to 87 degrees. Been running for a couple months now. 10 day fishless cycle, black skirts added first, and a week later the neons and shrimp where added. Only bought 15 neons and the person miscounted in my favor. 30% pwc every week. Levels are 0-0-20ppm 7.2 pH

I cranked the heater all the way up and will leave it there for 2 weeks.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bad idea. You want to slowly increase the heat, about 1 to 2 degrees per hour. Any more and youre likely to kill anything living in there. Crank it up to 86, not more to keep your shrimps and other inhabitants a bit mor comfortable. I dont think the shrimp will die from 86 as long as you increase slowly.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

In my experience raising the temp straight to 88, the heater is only capable of raising the temperature 1-2 degrees an hour. My heaters are preset to 88 so when it's time to give a treatment I just plug them in. Now I can do this because ive already calibrated them. It's a very bad idea to just set the temp and forget about it the first time because it doesn't always work out that way.

In my experience raising the temp straight to 88, the heater is only capable of raising the temperature 1-2 degrees an hour. My heaters are preset to 88 so when it's time to give a treatment I just plug them in. Now I can do this because ive already calibrated them. It's a very bad idea to just set the temp and forget about it the first time because it doesn't always work out that way.

The problem is I know some heaters sometimes de calibrate and swing higher than preset which is what kne of my heaters had. Also he might have too high of a wattage so the heating would be much quicker. :p

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

I've not had a heater decalibrate - the only purpose my heaters serve is heat treatments in quarantine so they are in use quite often, being plugged in and unplugged over and over over the years. Now I have had a heater not be calibrated from toggling the temp up and down, but not from leaving it set at one temp. More powerful heater won't make any discernible difference unless it's ridiculously overpowered. This is something people can find out for themselves, if they were so inclined.

Just checked the tank. All the fish are still alive and the temp is ~84 degrees. If it is the same when I check after school I will run and grab a second heater.

Should i get a 50W or 100W?

Just checked the tank. All the fish are still alive and the temp is ~84 degrees. If it is the same when I check after school I will run and grab a second heater.

Should i get a 50W or 100W?

I would personally grab a 100.

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

Gotta get a second heater :( was going to get the aqueon submersible 100W.

Got the second heater, and am going to slowly turn it up to 86 degrees.

This is the best picture I can get. It is spreading in the neons now, but the black skirts seem to be unaffected so far.

Is it possible that it isn't ich??

Attachments

• 1416878474090.jpg
    1416878474090.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 65
Got some better pictures. 2 100W heaters running at 86 degrees now should help. I am worried about my plants now because of the high heat, and my black skirts because 6 of them have lost their black.

Attachments

• 1416879011901.jpg
    1416879011901.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 1416879022355.jpg
    1416879022355.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1416879058397.jpg
    1416879058397.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 59
Fish are not liking the heat at all! 100% have lost their color to some degree :(

Attachments

• 1416976036013.jpg
    1416976036013.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 62
Is this normal for fish to loose color during this? Makes me wonder if meds would be better and less stressful on the fish

Yes at least my neons did a bit. Make sure your temp is no higher than 86. Its two full weeks of heat, but they will be ok. All of mine survived and m more ich.

Is this normal for fish to loose color during this? Makes me wonder if meds would be better and less stressful on the fish

Meds, parasites and heat are all stressful. IME there is no difference with fish behavior between 86 and 88. Just keep the temp no less than 86 for the treatment to be successful. You can go higher but you cannot go lower.

Ok, they seemed to have more color today. Maybe it was just because I had to turn the light on for the picture yesterday

Back
Top Bottom