Ich? I'm panicking! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippokitty

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428731849.655304.jpg

Ich or fungus??? I'm hiking up the temp to 85 and treated with Pima fix
My cousins were over last night and stuck their fingers in the tank and I'm pretty sure they were trying to pet the fish. The guppy is the only one with fuzz for now...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's hard to tell with the pic. It does look like Ich, however I'm no expert. I have dealt with Ich once before. If it's Ich you'll need to raise the temp and leave it that way for about 2 weeks after it's gone. Now, if you want to use medication you'll still want to first raise the temp to the eighties in Fahrenheit (around 82-84F). Then treat with som sort of medication. Pimafix was a good move. Just keep doing that and frequent water changes. Important: Make sure you aerate because the higher the temp, the less oxygen in the water.

Yes, It's ich.

You can easily skip the meds and just go with a heat treatment. It's super effective and much safer than using medications. Just raise the temp by 1 - 2 degrees per hour until it hits 86 degrees. Keep it there for 2 weeks after the last sign of ich is gone.

Definitely QT the guppy. This is really off topic, but that is a beautiful tank.

QTing the guppy is a pointless maneuver atm. The parasite is in the tank and the entire tank must be treated for it.

Ok that's what I figured :(
Will that high of temperature be ok for my shrimp plants and betta in that tank as well?? I've read you need more aeration but I already have a sponge filter and HOB running. Will that suffice?
Do I need to use aquarium salt or do more water changes?? I'm trying to look through old posts for this info too atm

Thank you all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The temp is fine for all listed.

No, that should be sufficient for aeration, assuming theres a good number of bubbles

No you dont need salt.

Definitely QT the guppy. This is really off topic, but that is a beautiful tank.

Once there is visible signs of ich in the tank, it's too late. It has already manifested itself onto the host fish and reproducing. No point in QT with ich. Exceptions would be like when I had ich I had to separate my dojo when I used heat treatment. Reason it my dojo cannot stand temperatures higher than 77. Loaches are also sensitive to some medications.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tank is at 86. The guppy looks almost clear of spots but everyone is acting all crazy and my betta is chasing everyone. Should I be feeding more and doing more water changes?
Also I added Pima fix last night does that help at all with ich?

Oh also are my ADF ok with such warm water??

Tank is at 86. The guppy looks almost clear of spots but everyone is acting all crazy and my betta is chasing everyone. Should I be feeding more and doing more water changes?
Also I added Pima fix last night does that help at all with ich?

The increased temperature can increase the metabolism of fish and make them a bit more active. That's somewhat expected.

Pimafix is useless for ich.

More water changes are almost never a bad thing.

Just remember, the important thing is to keep the temp that high for at least 2 weeks until you no longer see ich.

Also are my ADF ok with the high temp?
And thank you again! I've read about ich countless times and know the treatment in theory but boy, when its my fish I feel like a chicken with my head cut off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I may have messed everything up. I changed the filter from a crappy topfin yesterday to a small canister to increase water volume etc.
I faced the spray bar down and I think the O2 levels were too low because the tank was at 86. So that was obviously stupid of me. When I got home from work last night I changed it and the spray bar is up and I added an air stone as well.
I lost the guppy that had ich and an additional one. Both were floating this morning and gasping last night
The danios have red showing on their Gills, one shrimp died and my bettas coloring/activity level is reduced.

Tonight after work I threw in an Indian almond leaf, treated with a double dose of prime and will be performing a large water change tomorrow.

Anything else I should be doing?? I tested the water and all levels are normal

Ok so I may have messed everything up. I changed the filter from a crappy topfin yesterday to a small canister to increase water volume etc.
I faced the spray bar down and I think the O2 levels were too low because the tank was at 86. So that was obviously stupid of me. When I got home from work last night I changed it and the spray bar is up and I added an air stone as well.
I lost the guppy that had ich and an additional one. Both were floating this morning and gasping last night
The danios have red showing on their Gills, one shrimp died and my bettas coloring/activity level is reduced.

Tonight after work I threw in an Indian almond leaf, treated with a double dose of prime and will be performing a large water change tomorrow.

Anything else I should be doing?? I tested the water and all levels are normal

Other than keeping the aeration up i cant really think of anything else that needs to be done atm.

The betta is loving the heat and HATING the pima fix!
Any of the "fixes" should NOT be used with labarynth fish IMO ever.

If your doing heat treatment you don't need to stress him more by adding medication. Primafix is an antifungal it doesn't even treat Ich...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom