Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ich in 5 gallon tank

OK, so I got ich in my 5 gallon tank. upped my temp to 80 (it is actually reading a very constant 79.3-79.7). I added salt to the tank. been doing daily PWCs (I am doing a fish in cycle) and with every water change I am re-adding the salt. All the little spots are off of the fish. so according to the sticky that i read about ich is it safe to assume after doing all this for a week that the ich is out of the tank and I do not need to keep adding the salt. how do I know when to quit adding salt? and I would like to drop my temp back down to 77-78F

Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank should be at 86 F to kill off the ich.

It's a good sign that you're seeing less spots, however, that is most likely due to the life cycle of the ich if your temp's been that low.

You want to keep the high temp for about 2 weeks and then slowly lower it when there are no more spots.

How much salt are you adding?

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
Your tank should be at 86 F to kill off the ich.

It's a good sign that you're seeing less spots, however, that is most likely due to the life cycle of the ich if your temp's been that low.

You want to keep the high temp for about 2 weeks and then slowly lower it when there are no more spots.

How much salt are you adding?
i am following the box instructions for the salt. 1/2tsp per gallon or 1/2TBS per water change

no more spots for a while... for some reason I can't find where I documented the first discovery so I will just use 22 Jan as my start date even thogh I know I saw it before then. pretty sure no spots since before 22 Jan
Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com