Ich in my brand new tank. Great...HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelseytingler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Never had ich before. JUST got my tank filtered and the pleco I added has ich. UGH! what do I do? Should I put him in my quarantine tank? How do I remove the disease from my new tank? How long until I can add new fish?

I had an ich outbreak in my tank when I transferred everything from my 55g to an 87g. I did a 50% water change/gravel vac then I raised the temp to 87 degrees and added aquarium salt per the instructions on the back of the box (I think it was 1tsp for every 5 gallons). I did 25% water change/gravel vac every 3 days and added back salt to the water that I had to replace. It was literally gone within a week, but I left the temp raised for 10 days just to be sure I got it all. That was months ago and it never came back! I hate to use meds if I don't have to, but I caught this early and it worked like a charm!

I also raised the temp very slowly- maybe a degree every couple hours. Too fast and it could shock your fish!

Back
Top Bottom