ich in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was more just curious than anything, but how do you treat ich in a heavily planted tank?

heat tank to 86

gravel vac (what you can) every 2-3 days to remove ich spores from substrate

add an airstone for additional oxygenation

I should have known better than to buy fish from the one local chain store. They have a bad reputation for sick fish. They had the Cherry Barbs I wanted, and I could not find them anywhere else in the right size near where I lived. They *looked* fine.... I added them less than a week ago to bump my school of 5 up to 10. Of course, today I am checking everyone out and three of them have ich! >,<

I already started heating up the tank. I bumped it up to 80 from 78. Tomorrow morning I'll move it to 82, tomorrow night, 84, etc. I'll probably be doing a 50%+ water change tomorrow morning. UGH!

I have 6 peppered corys, 10 bloodfin, 10 cherry barbs, 3 swordtails, 1 hifin pleco, and 1 bristlenose pleco. And 4 Nerite snails.

My plants are, amazon swords, ruffled swords, rotala, corkscrew vals, and wisteria.

And what does YMMV mean? Ive never seen that one before.

YMMV--your mileage may vary.

I used heat alone--taking it up to 86-88. Worked like a charm on the ich, and the plants appeared to like it since some of them shot up *lol*

Its been 14 days since the ich out-break. Its been six days since I have seen a single white spot on any of my fish. When do you think I'll be safe to start turning the heat back down?

A quarantine tank is a must now a days. The people working at these pet shops are clueless when it comes to fish. When I had my pet shop I was always reading up on fish. You can NEVER know enough on the subject when you are in a hobby that can get so expensive. Break down and just DO IT. After 60 years I'd rather be safe than let fish die. They are beautiful creatures of God.
Namaste,
Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom