Ich in Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macfisto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I noticed last night that a few of my neons have ich. I immediately turned the temp up to about 82 degrees, but I don't have any medication yet. What is the best med to use in a planted tank? I have mainly anubias and java ferns, with some dwarf sag and jungle val. Also, should I remove the carbon from my filter during treatment? Thanks for all advice!!

No meds. Don't use any meds for treating ich. Most likely they will destroy your bacterial colonies. Since you have plants, salt is not the best option. I would crank up the heat slowly to 87 degrees and leave it there for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. You do not have to remove the carbon. This is one of the safest ways to treat for ich. Fish will not be harmed with the increased heat (unless you have goldfish, which then there might be an issue). Salt is also good but not for planted tanks or scaleless fish.

So the fish won't be killed by the ich in the time it takes for the higher temps to kill the ich? Also, will my plants suffer in the higher temps? I've heard they will. Thanks!

Depends how advanced the Ich was. If you just noticed it the ich will be destroyed and your fish will be. A few weeks of higher temperatures should not adversly effect your plants, it would only be a problem if the temps were elevated for a long period.

some plants have troble with heat, I think crypts have a tendency to melt more in higher heat.. but they really cant stand the sudden change in salitnity and most cant adapt to salt at all.. Ich has to be really bad to kill fish, its usually when its not treated and secondary infections take hold that most people louse fish, Im not saying its not possible but its more then just noticable at that point..

Thanks greenmaji. So in your opinion, would it be better to try to kill the ich at an approximate 86 degrees and take the chance at harming my plants (I do have several crypts), or only moderately increase the temp (80-82 degrees) and treat with a med? I have heard that rid-ich does a really good job. Thanks!

Meds aren't necessary to get rid of ich. Even if you used them, it's recommended to raise the heat anyway.

Salt will harm plants and most bottom dwelling fish. I've had numerous days where my tank temp was at 86d and it had little or not affect on the crypts. Not saying that you won't have a meltdown or other losses but the main concern is the fish's health at the moment. I'd go with the lesser of the three problems.

The temp needs to be higher than 82. The warmer temps just increase the spread of ich. That's why it is recommended above 86 degrees. That is the temp in which they die off. I run mine at 88 degrees.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice. One last question. I have neons, white clouds, cory cats, and ottos in my tank right now. Would any of them have problems with the higher temps? I normally keep my tank at about 78 degrees. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom