Ich... need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuteRN35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I first want to thank every one for all the great advice posted on this site!
I got my daughter a 5 gal tank with an undergravel filter and we put in one fantail goldfish. We then added a small feeder goldfish about 2 weeks later, then a Pleco about a week ago. I think the pleco infected the tank with ich. I came home from work and saw white spots on the goldfish that were not there in the morning or if they were i did not notice them. The pleco had white spots but they looked natural. The feeder goldfish died the next day. I got Quick Cure from the pet store ( then I found this site while researching) I raised the tank temp to 85 and added aquarium salt slowly over 3 days. The pleco died yesterday, the fantail is still alive and is looking better, it has whitish slimey patches that are drifting off and the scales under look fine.
Just now I noticed tiny white wiggly things on the tank front. They are just visable to the eye. Could this be a stage of ich ? or do I have another problem ?
I clean the gravel when I siphon water out, which I had done 2 days before I noticed the white spots.

Hiya QuteRN35 and welcome to Aquariumadvice!

Ugh, sounds like things are a mess over there. Lets see if we can clear some things up. First and foremost, do read the article I wrote about ich (you can find it here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32 ). It will give you a better understanding of what ich is and how to treat it.

I have a few bits of advice to pass along that should help keep your fish happy n healthy in the future:

A larger tank. Surprisingly, goldfish need around 10g each! They actually live to be around 25 yrs old or so on average with good care, and get rather large as well. They are extremely messy fish, and need a larger area to deal with it, as well as more surface area for their high oxygen needs.

And what sort of pleco was it? A common plec will top out around 2 feet long - WAY too small for a 5g. Even a bristlenose plec will reach around 6 inches. They need to be fed as well; they aren't scavengers really. If there is no algae in the tank, they can starve. Things to keep in mind if you chose to purchase another.

The white wiggly things are a sign of over feeding, and not related to ich at all. They are likely nematodes (or hydra); harmless, but show up when there is extra nutrients in the tank. How often do you feed, how much and how often do you gravel vac?

Oh, its possible the meds killed off the plec. Scaleless fish like plecos and loaches are extremely sensitive to the poisons in ich meds.

It sounds as if your fantail is suffering from a bacterial infection, quite possible columnaris. Secondary infections are typical of ich infestations. You'll need an antibiotic to help treat it. Kanacyn is usually recommended, or if you can find a medicated fish food which contains oxytetracycline, even better.

Lastly, what are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? They may give us a clue as to whats going on.

Allivymar
Thanks, Well after reading the posts here..... Shame on me!! I have had tanks in the past with no problems but this is the first time I have done goldfish, I and going to purchase a water test kit ASAP as for feeding I was feeding once in the AM and once in the PM small amounts at a time. since the problems began I cut it back to once a day when I noticed the fish was not eating as much at a time. I have siphoned the gravel 3 times in 3 1/2 weeks. Should I vac/change water again now or wait a couple of days to see how the fantail is doing ?

Fresh clean treated water is always a good thing. Actually, gravel vaccing is especially pertinent when treating ich; it removes the encysted parasites in the substrate. The only caveat is to be sure you keep the med levels where they need to be. If the meds need to be added every day, doing the gravel vac/water change right before should be fine (chances are the meds are no longer effective after 24 hrs, hence the need to add more).

Thank you so much !! The ich is gone and the goldfish is perfectly normal again !! and the white wigglies are gone!!!

Back
Top Bottom