Ich! ** Need some help!**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you aqua_holic. You input is always appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over night report : Fish seem happier since the temperature has been raised i noticed a tad fewer white spots on my oscar and my pleco seems alive again.

Do not turn the filter off, just remove the carbon if using meds. I personally have never had luck with medicating tanks. With ich, turn the heat up to 86 degrees, no less, and keep it there for 10 days minimum. I was worried this was too hot or would hurt my fish, but it fixed it and only 2 baby platys died. Never saw the ich again.

Also, dont add the meds with the heat. The heat reduces oxygen and combining it with the meds will make it very low in oxygen. I suggest tossing an air stone to bubble it up a bit. This is what I did to ensure the fish got enough oxygen in the warm water.

Do not turn the filter off, just remove the carbon if using meds. I personally have never had luck with medicating tanks. With ich, turn the heat up to 86 degrees, no less, and keep it there for 10 days minimum. I was worried this was too hot or would hurt my fish, but it fixed it and only 2 baby platys died. Never saw the ich again.

Also, dont add the meds with the heat. The heat reduces oxygen and combining it with the meds will make it very low in oxygen. I suggest tossing an air stone to bubble it up a bit. This is what I did to ensure the fish got enough oxygen in the warm water.

Cranked the heat up doesnt seem to be rising very fast but cleaning the gravel real good and making sure i wipe this disease out for good. Thanks for all the feedback guys! if you guys have anymore tips or anything please share! All info is needed!

You are doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man. I seriously wouldn't of know what to do without you guys. You pretty much saved my tank. Ill be posting a thank you video on my youtube page after im done vacuuming it out and ill include u guys and if you have channels pm me them so i can include u in the description. Thanks again guys!
:thanks:

Update...
Woke up to a dead catfish and the oscar is acting very strange. Wont come up to eat like he normally would maybe because i feed him crickets last night as a treat i dropped a good size feeder fish in because i didnt have time to mess with him this morning. Is this due to temperature raise or maybe i should test my water?

Update...
Woke up to a dead catfish and the oscar is acting very strange. Wont come up to eat like he normally would maybe because i feed him crickets last night as a treat i dropped a good size feeder fish in because i didnt have time to mess with him this morning. Is this due to temperature raise or maybe i should test my water?

I am so sorry to hear about your fish. I am sure that the temperature is stressing the fish; but, unfortunately if the ICH is not eradicated the fish will die from the disease. The medicines will also stress the fish. yes, do test your water (ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. etc.) Once there are no more signs of the ICH you can resume normal care. I have to take this opportunity to stress the importance of a quarantine tank (QT). This can be a 10 gallon tank. Using a QT gives the aquarist the opportunity to isolate diseases before introduction into the display tank.

I am so sorry to hear about your fish. I am sure that the temperature is stressing the fish; but, unfortunately if the ICH is not eradicated the fish will die from the disease. The medicines will also stress the fish. yes, do test your water (ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. etc.) Once there are no more signs of the ICH you can resume normal care. I have to take this opportunity to stress the importance of a quarantine tank (QT). This can be a 10 gallon tank. Using a QT gives the aquarist the opportunity to isolate diseases before introduction into the display tank.

i tired that my oscar jumped right out of it. he wont let me put him in any tank bigger or smaller than his. Its insane. and im scared to put a hood on the qt tank because he busted the light bulb the last time i did that.

Back
Top Bottom