Ich on betta please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasmainia300

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think my betta has ich D: here's a picture:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400047849.054142.jpg

You can see the little white spots and there are a few more on the other side of him :(

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
My male betta, has tiny white dots that at first looked like micro bubbles. They appeared today.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is .25 (I think this is due to an uneaten pellet and algae wafer that sunk between the gravel...)
Nitrate 40ppm and I can't get it lower because it comes out of the tap that way :(

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
10 gallons. Almost a month, and it is cycled.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. A tetra whisper 2-10i 5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? One betta and 2 amano shrimp. 6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 5 days ago. I do one water change a week, about 30% 7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? The amano shrimp are new since Saturday. The betta I have had for about a year. I floated the shrimp and netted them into the tank. 8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? The three amano shrimp as well as a water wisteria, amazon sword, and Anubis nana. 9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Aqueon betta pellets. Recently fed one algae wafer for the shrimp, but the betta took a liking to it as well. There were 3 shrimp but he killed the biggest one by biting off its legs it uses to feed D: it died last night and was only in the tank for about 30 mind after dying. My question is what do I do??? I can't use meds or salt because of the shrimp and plants.... I already started to bump up the temp a little bit it's at 81 F now. Also what could have caused it??[ATTACH]237162._xfImport[/ATTACH] The weird thing is that he is acting completely normal! He isn't lethargic, he is responding fine and eating well... He was just flaring and working on his bubble nest about 20 minutes ago. I know that's not necessarily a sign of well being but at least it means he's acting normal.. Also, all i would have for a quarantine is a little gallon bowl and I don't have any money for anything more than like $20 total :((

How is he doing? Any more white spots?

Can you keep bumping the temp up a few degrees F an hour to get it to 86F which is needed for white spot treatment?

I've thought I could of had ich come in with buying plants (I assume in the water). How it managed that I don't know but it was the only recent purchase at the time.

My dad had ich clean out one of his tanks because he added new plants .. That's one reason why i use silk plants..and still ended up with it due to stupid shop :( and me believing the store assistant who said the fish had been qt !! Grrr ..
Turn up the heat gradually to 86 i was sceptical but seeing my albino cory clear in 3 days im impressed .. But im doing pwc every 2 days and sand vac every 2 days.. And keeping it at 86 for another 10 days.. Good luck

There's quite a bit more white spots now, but he still seems to be acting normal... The temperature is at 85 F now and I will be bumping it up to 86 in about an hour. I hope the shrimp and plants survive the temperature being so high.

The nitrites went back down to 0 (as expected). And the tank is now at 86. Gonna do a pwc tomorrow. Anymore pro-tips?

Decided to do a pwc now instead because nitrates were high. I kept the water level a little lower to allow for more aeration from the filter.

Um no one answered but I thought I would wrap up the thread. All the ich is off of my betta, but one of the shrimp did die, due to the heat I suppose. I will keep the heat up for 10 more days and then slowly bring it down.

/thread

That sounds great, with ich gone just keep an eye out for other infections like fungus as the ich has damaged the scale/slime coat protection.

Back
Top Bottom