Ich on Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A salinity meter really is not necessary. What I would get is a small kitchen scale. Walmart has them (nondigital) for under $5. Digital are bit more. Salt is best measured via weight rather than volume as different sized grains weigh different amounts. For example, a tsp of API aq salt or rock salt will not weigh the same as a tsp of canning salt.

For salt treatment, dose 11.4grams per gallon (.3% salinity). Measure out the amount of salt needed into a container you can close (empty water jug works) and fill with conditioned water. Shake until completely dissolved. Add this salt solution gradually over a 48hr period of time. Half should be in by the 24hr mark. Water changes along with good gravel vacs to suck up cysts should be done every other day to daily depending on parameters. Keep a daily check on your parameters as the salt will affect your good bacteria.

For water changes, its best to stick to a set amount such as 50%. 50% will remove half the salt in the tank and you will need to replace only the salt you remove. So, mix half the original dose of salt in treated water, dissolve completely and add all the salt solution back with the new water. Maintain the salinity for one week after the last spot is gone then simply do not add back salt with future wcs and the salinity will gradually return to normal. That's about it! Please ask if you have questions!

You said that I have to gravel vacuum, but I have sand?
Do you have any advice on that?

Just hover the vac over the surface to disturb it just slightly so cysts can be sucked up. If you have a heavy sand, this should be pretty easy but if its a fine sand, it may bit a bit harder. :)

Just hover the vac over the surface to disturb it just slightly so cysts can be sucked up. If you have a heavy sand, this should be pretty easy but if its a fine sand, it may bit a bit harder. :)

Ok thanks should I move my hand through the sand before I vacuum?

Any hard surface, this includes tank sides all decor areas in and around the filter, the heater. Any part of the system that is submerged is a potential site.

I agree with the method of weighing salt, it's the most precise way. Even two scoops the same out of the same box weigh different.

Check the ingredients. Quite a few sea salts contain anti-caking agents. As long as the only ingredient listed is 100% NaCl (sodium chloride), its fine to use.

Should have asked this question earlier, but when you say that salt is going to effect my good bacteria, should that be something I should worry about with 3 small goldfish?

Should have asked this question earlier, but when you say that salt is going to effect my good bacteria, should that be something I should worry about with 3 small goldfish?

It just means keep a daily watch on your parameters and do wcs as needed. Low salt doses have little if any effect but at this amount, it may affect them. It seems to affect your nitrite processing bacteria to a much greater extent than your ammonia bacteria. Good news is, once the salinity is reduced close to normal, they recover fairly quickly. The other good news is salt greatly limits the effects of nitrite toxicity. Just something to keep a watch for in event of spikes. :)

It just means keep a daily watch on your parameters and do wcs as needed. Low salt doses have little if any effect but at this amount, it may affect them. It seems to affect your nitrite processing bacteria to a much greater extent than your ammonia bacteria. Good news is, once the salinity is reduced close to normal, they recover fairly quickly. The other good news is salt greatly limits the effects of nitrite toxicity. Just something to keep a watch for in event of spikes. :)

Ok thank a lot for helping me!

Back
Top Bottom