Ich or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing has changed with this fish at all. Spots are still the same, fish still acting normal. Not sure what to do because these things are definitely not normal... [emoji30][emoji27]

I could confirm with a microscope, I just don't want to put the fish through the scraping process as it's doing perfectly well other than the spots.

I believe you cut one of the nodules out of the fin, squash it, and look at it under a microscope. I've only read about this. I've never done it. Either way, if it's a virus it's not treatable.

Haven't done a scraping yet. Fish is still acting normal & the spots haven't changed. Ordered some mal green. Gonna try that before I resort to a scraping.

Haven't done a scraping yet. Fish is still acting normal & the spots haven't changed. Ordered some mal green. Gonna try that before I resort to a scraping.
Do you have a update with your Angel? I'm a proud owner of 4 myself. They are newer fish to me. This how I learn about fish issues and see how ppl handle them. This forum is really educational.

Do you have a update with your Angel? I'm a proud owner of 4 myself. They are newer fish to me. This how I learn about fish issues and see how ppl handle them. This forum is really educational.
Nothing new yet....Treated the quarantined fish with raised temp & salt for 6 weeks. This should have helped rid any fungal, bacterial, or ich issue up when accompanied by a small daily water change (which I did about 20-30% daily including vacuuming the bare bottom). While a few of the spots disappeared during the first week, for the last 5 weeks, I saw no improvement at all.

Last weekend, I brought the temp back down to my nromal 78°F & have been treating for external parasites. Still no change.

The fish has been active and acting normal throughout the duration of its quarantine. I'm still doing 20-30% water changes daily.

I have noticed two things with this particular fish:

1) When I brought it home from my friend, it was the same size as the other calico angel. Both calicos were easily twice the size of the black/white angel. This quarantined angel does not appear to have grown since being quarantined and is now smaller than the black/white angel by a significant amount. I don't know if this is due to the health issue or from other factors such as I believe this one is a female while the other two appear to be males. It could also be due to the smaller tank volume. The QT is only 10g while the other two are in a 55g, but parameters in both tanks are the same.

2) This fish has never managed to repair its fins or tail either from when the fish were transported to my house. All 3 angels had damaged fins & tails after transport, but the two in the 55g without the spots no longer have any damage.

It looks like white spot to me. Small sugar/salt like granules is normally white spot. You can get treatment from your pet shop. The treatment I use is a single treatment then a second treatment 4 days later. It is by interpet- I would recommend it.

It looks like white spot to me. Small sugar/salt like granules is normally white spot. You can get treatment from your pet shop. The treatment I use is a single treatment then a second treatment 4 days later. It is by interpet- I would recommend it.
Ich covers the entire body not just fins and those spots are way to big for ich. Also this has been going on for awhile for the OP. Ich not treated that long would have killed the fish by now.

The fish is still active and normal other than the strange spots. A few seem to have faded away for the most part, but there are still at least 6 spots that have not changed.

I stopped treating for everything quite awhile ago. Just doing weekly 20% wc's....

I was doing 50% for awhile, but after removing all meds & such, I cut back to 20% because even with that, the water is still pristine. It's just the one baby angel in a 10g.

My issue is what to do with her when she gets bigger. Might be getting the 35g out of storage and doing a reseal on it so she has a more permanent home.

Minerals in your water gets used up. Replacing more water weekly replenishes the minerals and removes dissolved solids/wastes from your water.

As for the spots, it looks like Lymphocystis to me as I think I've stated on your post already. It may never go away and your Angel may never show signs of it harming him.

Lymphocystis is contagious

Look like ICH to me . My friend used to have ICH . Don’t clean the water to to much coz u will remove the Bacteria that the fish need . ICH or not I might be wrong . If it is I would remove that angle to another tank or it will spread like a wild fire . Put temperature to 83/84 F . And remove the carbon and buy medicine to kill the ICH . Some are powerful so I would treat the medicine for 3 days then watch and see . The med will look blue. It will clear up

Look like ICH to me . My friend used to have ICH . Don’t clean the water to to much coz u will remove the Bacteria that the fish need . ICH or not I might be wrong . If it is I would remove that angle to another tank or it will spread like a wild fire . Put temperature to 83/84 F . And remove the carbon and buy medicine to kill the ICH . Some are powerful so I would treat the medicine for 3 days then watch and see . The med will look blue. It will clear up
This has been an ongoing problem. If it was ich the fish would be completely covered and dead by now. FYI, you have to remove water daily with a vacuum of the substrate if you go the heat and salt route to cure an ich outbreak.

Also, beneficial bacteria is not in the water column. You can remove water frequently.

This has been an ongoing problem. If it was ich the fish would be completely covered and dead by now. FYI, you have to remove water daily with a vacuum of the substrate if you go the heat and salt route to cure an ich outbreak.

Also, beneficial bacteria is not in the water column. You can remove water frequently.

I never put salt on mine . My fish used to have ICH . Didn’t die . First I seen one spot I thought it was nothing until I seen 1 spots then it was 4 then 6 white spots . It will spread if u don’t treat the fish quick . Then 3 of my fish got ICH so I bought a treatment for ICH , The treatment Is strong , but if u want to save your fish . Save it . Some fish will not handle the treatment I lost 2 fishes but it saved my 2 flowerhorn and 3 other Cichlid . U still first see one spot then in 3 days or so u will see a second spot etc

I've cured ich plenty of times with heat, salt and water changes with a gravel vac. It's where they fall to reproduce and spread all over your tank. Anyhow, go back to the beginning of this post and you'll know what I'm talking about.
This fish has had this for well over 4 months. The spots are not consistent with ich.

Kingfish, not ich, but thanks for trying.

King Fisher, I agree that its most likely lymphocystis, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Already tried checking out a scraping under a microscope, but couldn't confirm. I moved the other angel into the 45g with her because he was killing my community fish in my 55g. If he gets it, that's fine with me........[emoji43]

Back
Top Bottom