Ich or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessipanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, picked up a free 45 bow from a friend and her remaining inhabitants last weekend. This angel has some strange white spots on it that don't appear to be ich to me. They just appeared today as I have been staring at these 6 fish since I transported them and never saw them before. The spots are only on the fins. They're raised and are shaped kind of like tiny grains of rice. As far as I know, ich is is circular, not elongated as these are...but I don't know if it CAN be elongated like this. Just want to make sure I know what it is before I start medicating/going to war.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Attachments

• 1201181756-1~2.jpg
    1201181756-1~2.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 106
It doesn't seem to be ich, but i'm not an expert. Can you get a clearer picture? also if you can get your water parameters, please reply with them!

It doesn't seem to be ich, but i'm not an expert. Can you get a clearer picture? also if you can get your water parameters, please reply with them!
0 amm, 0 nitri, <10 nitra, 74°F
Just did a 50% water change today. Didn't notice it before that. Tested my well water 0, 0, 0...I will try to get a clearer picture in the morning.

Okay! Hopefully that helps. Though, it could be another kind of parasite. We’ll see with a clearer picture, i suppose. Id suggest just closely monitoring your fish and keeping up with your water changes.

Can't really get a clearer pic...I used my bf's phone this morning so it's a smidge better, but we don't have any other cameras that would take really clear close ups.

They don't appear to be moving and don't appear to have multiplied since last night.123951_21.jpg

I asked my friend who gave it to me if she has ever seen this before and she said she hasn't. She also asked if they could be eggs. There are 3 juvenile angels and 3 mollies...I don't think anyone laid eggs on the fish. Could I be wrong? Is it possible another juvy angel laid eggs on it??

Might be Parasitic Crustacean / Fish Lice infestation. I've never experienced that type of infestation in my tanks, but have seen similar pics in other forums.

Might be Parasitic Crustacean / Fish Lice infestation. I've never experienced that type of infestation in my tanks, but have seen similar pics in other forums.
I looked up fish lice, but this doesn't appesr to look anything like it at all. Thank you though [emoji4]

Okay....so I'm treating like ich for now since I don't have any idea what else it can be.

Angel is in QT with the temp up to 80 now & salt added. *crosses fingers*

I researched both cauliflower disease & fish lice, but neither really seem to fit with what I'm seeing. [emoji30]

I seriously doubt that it's ich. I'd just keep the water pristine and wait it out until it either goes away, gets worse, or other symptoms arise that gives you a clearer answer.

Not seeing any change as of yet... [emoji30]

The angel is still acting normal and the abscesses are still exactly the same.

Any recommendations on a med to try? No clue what I'm dealing with [emoji24]

Don't think anyone is reading this, but just in case someone else ends up having to deal with this I'm still updating what I'm trying...

So, after one week of raised temps with added salt of 1tbsp/5g, only one of the abssesses have disappeared. The rest look exactly the same. The angel is still acting, swimming, and eating normally.

I have been doing 50% daily wc's. Yesterday, I stopped adding salt and I'm now treating for bacterial infections. Hopefully this helps...

If it's slowly going away and not getting worse I think you're on the right track

If it's slowly going away and not getting worse I think you're on the right track
While one spot has disappeared after a week of treatment, the remaining 15+ abssesses look unaffected. I don't think that qualifies as slowly going away. Does it? Should I continue adding the salt? How long should I try that befote moving onto a different treatment?

I've been trying to figure out what those are myself.
Generally, salt is a good treatment for fin issues when the issues aren't terribly bad.

Back
Top Bottom