Ich or tail deformity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiina107

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a very small angelfish for a newly cycled tank that has 2 white dots in its tail. I treated it like ich in quarantine, however the spots are STILL THERE. They have not shrank nor have they grown or spread to the rest of its body. I’ll include a picture I tookIMG_1036.jpg when I put the fish in a bag to inspect it a few minutes ago. I’ve Been very rigorous with treatments and nothing has worked to get rid of the spots which leads me to believe it could just be part of the fish. Thank you. IMG_1035.jpg

What is the best way to treat that? Or is it untreatable? :( if that’s the case would it be best to humanely euthanize the fish?

What is the best way to treat that? Or is it untreatable? :( if that’s the case would it be best to humanely euthanize the fish?
Hello, it is like a wart. Viral in nature & there is no cure(can have remove w/surgery). It should not harm fish unless it effects an area like gills or mouth.
I wouldn't euthanize just keep water parameters good & see how things go. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Thank you both!! Since it’s like a wart, I assume it must be contagious? Or is it safe to put the angel back into the display tank? I’ve been doing some research and it does definitely appear to be Lymphocystis, however, I’ve heard some hobbyists say it’s extremely contagious and other hobbyists and websites say the disease can only spread to those of the same species and/or is not contagious until other fish around the infected individual become stressed and have weakened immune systems.

Thank you both!! Since it’s like a wart, I assume it must be contagious? Or is it safe to put the angel back into the display tank? I’ve been doing some research and it does definitely appear to be Lymphocystis, however, I’ve heard some hobbyists say it’s extremely contagious and other hobbyists and websites say the disease can only spread to those of the same species and/or is not contagious until other fish around the infected individual become stressed and have weakened immune systems.
I have never delt w/this issue. Researched because angel had white markings on tail which didnt show till he got older. But from my understanding it caused by stress. Bad water, bullying by tankmates & ect.ect. so if you rectify situation it should not spread or worsen.

In my experience they only spread to same species. I had this problem with some black skirt tetras I got from a box store after they were established for a year in my community tank. It never did affect the other species of fish I had. Not to say it couldn't though.

I have never delt w/this issue. Researched because angel had white markings on tail which didnt show till he got older. But from my understanding it caused by stress. Bad water, bullying by tankmates & ect.ect. so if you rectify situation it should not spread or worsen.

Unfortunately I got the poor little guy like that :( I’ve never had a fish in my care come down with stress related illnesses and I take that with pride! I’m going to go ahead and move the angel to the display tank :) I’m very confident it is lymphocystis and that it should not spread to other species since my tank environment is very stress free(the rest of the tank inhabitants are all community/schooling fish, no bullying goes on and the tank is quite heavily planted for the shyer fish) thank you and KingFisher both for the awesome advice and help! Its so much appreciated!❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom