Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2017, 02:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ich! Pictus Catfish & Rid Ich

My Aquarium,

5 Congo Tetras
1 African Leaf Fish
1 Pleco
1 Featherfin Catfish
2 Australian Rainbowfish (Still want to remove these)
4 Angelfish
4 Pictus Catfish

Hey! Last time I came on here was for advice on introducing 3 new angel fish to my already overstocked aquarium and lucky it worked out!

So a few days ago, Walmart had Pictus Catfish labeled as common plecos and I had to get some. Got 4 for 15$ Now I don't have quarantine tank so I just plopped them in to my main and they have been doing great until recently I noticed my one of Australian rainbowfish has white spots on its fin. (Im assuming ich) An Angel might have some as well. I'm afraid of it spreading to my catfish and wondering how to treat the whole aquarium! I know I can't use any meds with copper, zinc because they will kill my pleco and catfish.

I've used Kordon Rid Ich when I used to have a betta and neons. It worked great. I've also used Kordon Ich Attack because my sister's molly aquarium had got ich and there was no Rid Ich in store and it worked for them as well. Still have some left.

Now I'm wondering if Rid Ich will be safe for my catfish and pleco. I believe it is copper and zinc free but I'm still unsure if they can handle it. Do any of you have first hand experience with catfish and Rid Ich? I think Ich Attack would be safe because it's "natural" but i would most likely have to double the dose and treat longer. Rid ich is faster but "unnatural" I guess.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I had a pictus with ick (also had cories and a pleco) I turned the heat up and did massive gravel vacs every day for two weeks, no meds, and it cleared up on it's own.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #3

I always do 50% water changes but I only vacuum one side. I'll do the whole aquarium tomorrow and a 60% water change. I'll do that weekly and if I notice it spreading or getting worse at all I'll throw in the 'Ich Attack" I have. Thanks man
Old 09-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I couldn't use meds with my clown loaches, heat and vacuuming daily DID NOT WORK heat does not kill ich it speeds up the life cycle it stays on the fish for, ich attack is safe for scaless fish, inverts all fish I would up the temp to about 81 no need to go higher and dose with the ich attack, if you do heat & vac your risking a cacoon being left behind and it happening again in a week or 2, I wish I had this with my loaches cause all 3 succumbed to the ich with just high heat and vacuuming

Ich-Attack is safe for use in all kinds of aquariums and ornamental ponds, as well as on scaleless fishes (such as loaches, elephant noses, electric eels, knife fishes and catfishes), coral reef fishes, young fish and fry, reef aquariums, aquatic plants, aquatic invertebrates (such as snails, crustaceans, corals and sea anemones), amphibians and aquatic reptiles.*
Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are right, heat does not kill ick. But ick is always present in an aquarium, it only gets a foothold in fish that are stressed, old or already diseased. I recommend it over meds because I am unfamiliar with them and their reactions with certain fish, as I've only ever had ick once years ago, and have heard stories of fish not reacting well to some treatments.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
You are right, heat does not kill ick. But ick is always present in an aquarium, it only gets a foothold in fish that are stressed, old or already diseased. I recommend it over meds because I am unfamiliar with them and their reactions with certain fish, as I've only ever had ick once years ago, and have heard stories of fish not reacting well to some treatments.
Yeah my loaches showed stress my first dose so I immidiately did 50% water change, then 25% 4 hours later, waited a day to start heat because you're not supposed to use heat with most meds as well cause of oxygen depletion, as far as ich being in the tank all the time that's false, it has to be introduced from a plant, fish, hands etc etc, yes ich can't attach to a healthy fish but that's also very false, once ich attaches to an ill /old/weak fish and falls off, that batch can infect healthy fish that's why it spreads, if this was the case only one fish would ever have it, I would also recommend presoaking the fish food in garlic guard or home made garlic juice for the fishes immune system.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Potluck, I have been following your posts for the last couple of months, and I hope the tank
adversity you've been dealing with has passed and things are going well.
Like Toad, I treat my tanks by the well noted non med methods when problems arise. Thank goodness problems have been rare. It's been my experience that treatments with meds or non med usually end with the same results, the stronger fish shake it off, the weaker die. I understand why commercial breeders and dealers need to use meds. The shear volume of livestock, overloaded cramped tanks, poor water conditions and the need to make a profit all necessitate their use of meds. In a home aquarium those noted factors should not apply. Just my opinion, good luck.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #8

Here's what i'm dealing with.

That's the Australian Rainbowfish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	303934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2836.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	303935  

Old 09-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #9

And this is the angelfish that might have it, might not.

I've been know to thinking my fish are sick when they arn't
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2825.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	303937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2827.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	303938  

Name:	IMG_2835.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	303939  
Old 09-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
I couldn't use meds with my clown loaches, heat and vacuuming daily DID NOT WORK heat does not kill ich it speeds up the life cycle it stays on the fish for, ich attack is safe for scaless fish, inverts all fish I would up the temp to about 81 no need to go higher and dose with the ich attack, if you do heat & vac your risking a cacoon being left behind and it happening again in a week or 2, I wish I had this with my loaches cause all 3 succumbed to the ich with just high heat and vacuuming

Ich-Attack is safe for use in all kinds of aquariums and ornamental ponds, as well as on scaleless fishes (such as loaches, elephant noses, electric eels, knife fishes and catfishes), coral reef fishes, young fish and fry, reef aquariums, aquatic plants, aquatic invertebrates (such as snails, crustaceans, corals and sea anemones), amphibians and aquatic reptiles.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
Yeah my loaches showed stress my first dose so I immidiately did 50% water change, then 25% 4 hours later, waited a day to start heat because you're not stopped to use heat with most meds as well cause of oxygen depletion, as far as ich being in the tank all the time that's false, it has to be introduced from a plant, fish, hands etc etc, yes ich can't attach to a healthy fish but that's also very false, once ich attaches to an ill /old/weak fish and falls off, that batch can infect healthy fish that's why it spreads, if this was the case only one fish would ever have it, I would also recommend presoaking the fish food in garlic guard or home made garlic juice for the fishes immune system.
Your loaches showed stress to Ich Attack? I'm picking up the temp a degree every hour until I get to 81. I also just vacuumed the whole aquarium and the fish still look healthy and strong. I'll do the ich attack today as well since it's safe for scaleless fish. I ordered medicated food with garlic from kensfish.com as well as more ich attack. I don't know how fast the shipping is since I picked the cheapest one. As of now I have Minced Garlic here but one of the ingredients is phosphoric acid; i'm gonna see if can I safely soak the fish food in the juice from it If not i'll make my own juice form garlic I have here. I think my fish are gonna be fine.

Tags
catfish, fish, ich, pic, pictus, pictus catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com