Ich precautions? Pre treat with heat or meds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I had a thread about a platy in the breeding section but got a bit paranoid with people saying its actions seem a bit like pre ich.

I just ordered a new heater because the one I own will NOT heat the tank past 80 degrees even at max.

I have inverts and plants in my tank and pulling fish out to treat when Im no where NEAR 100% sure there is even an issue is kind of out of the question. Especially since I dont have a QT of any kind.

Is it safe to precautionary raise the temp of a tank here and there to try and fend off any possible ich starts or would that stress a fish to much.
Im sort of describing a slow rise like 1 degree a day or so, not 80 one day 86 the next.

Ive seen no white spots or actions that really say there is ich present other than a male platy flashing one plant as soon as a female was added.

On a side note are there any plant and invert safe additives you can add to help boost the fish's immune systems as a precautionary action?
Ive read garlic soaked food and was interested in trying it but really Id like something professionally made as well to target the fish's health system.
Was going to pick up some stress and slime coat + since it has aloe in it, read thats pretty good.

I looked at one of my bumblebee gobies this morning and though it came very pale, almost transparent, from the store it has not seemed to get better and his eyes looked a bit hazy.

My levels are all 0's and ph is around 7

water is between 78 to 80 depending on which thermostat I read.

They both seem to eat the same amount of blood worms, and I feed them every day so I dont think this is a malnutrition thing.

so this thread went from one platy to now my BB goby as well

thanks

Ich is an external parasite so I don't believe that medicated foods are going to help you much.

Ich is common in fish and they often will not have an outbreak until they are stressed.

Personally, I would not try to treat something like Ich unless you are sure that you have it. Most of the signs of Ich such as flashing are also caused by many other problems as well. Raising the temperature may do more harm than good if you don't actually have Ich.

Ich is an external parasite so I don't believe that medicated foods are going to help you much.

Ich is common in fish and they often will not have an outbreak until they are stressed.

Personally, I would not try to treat something like Ich unless you are sure that you have it. Most of the signs of Ich such as flashing are also caused by many other problems as well. Raising the temperature may do more harm than good if you don't actually have Ich.

Any way to actually tell if the fish has anything? His color is normal he's active and he eats plenty. I'd hate to stress him unecesarily by netting and moving him. Are their safe precautionary meds that can be added in case its not ich?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here he is at lunch

Attachments

• 1415994908169.jpg
    1415994908169.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 1415994917302.jpg
    1415994917302.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 71
I agree with post #2: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Invest the energy in a quarantine tank if bringing home new plants (unless you dip them) or fish, your odds of needing it there are much higher than a preventative course of treatment with no symptoms.

I agree with post #2: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Invest the energy in a quarantine tank if bringing home new plants (unless you dip them) or fish, your odds of needing it there are much higher than a preventative course of treatment with no symptoms.

well the only symptom was him flashing against plants. I actually JUST saw him flash against driftwood which is why I posted. Never saw that before.
Ill just keep watching him
He was a cycle fish, so I feel slightly bad and hope he doesn't have gill damage that carried over finally.

Yeah, unless you see white spots developing I would not try treating. Also, even if he does Ich infects the whole tank. So there is really no reason to isolate him.

Any way to actually tell if the fish has anything? His color is normal he's active and he eats plenty. I'd hate to stress him unecesarily by netting and moving him. Are their safe precautionary meds that can be added in case its not ich?

I have seen threads with people trying medicated foods and never been quite convinced it worked for ich treatment.

Idk on a safe med, I've had fish react badly to them all while others are seemingly bullet proof.

Yeah, unless you see white spots developing I would not try treating. Also, even if he does Ich infects the whole tank. So there is really no reason to isolate him.

A photo might help others identify it, but the sad fact is if the symptoms are not clear, you are probably better waiting a bit to see how it develops. For example, raising the temperature thinking it is ich can make other infections more virulent if you are wrong, and the wrong meds may stress the fish further weakening it.

Just like humans, sometimes it has to get better before you can figure it out and make it worse.

But perhaps some more experienced members can tell from the description.

He honestly doesnt look sick at all to me, but its hard to diagnose with a picture. I see no white spots, his fins are up, and he looks healthy. He may have flashed to try and impress his new female friend. I would wait for ich spots if you suspect that, but only 1 or 2 and begin treatment ASAP. You may have nothing wrong at all, and only time will tell.

I would wait and see
If you are only feeding blood worms you need to get a good staple food for them platies need veggies in there diet I would go with a premium smaller pellet , or flake(pellets pollute the water less ) I like the food from kens fish
Ken's Premium Super Color Pellets 1.5mm

THOSE are the pellets I saw. Was thinking of picking them up. I feed flakes to primarily all the fish but My BB gobies get worms. Of course the other fish will get a few even using the turkey baster.
Well when my new heater comes in Im going to piece together a simple QT tank out of basically a rubbermaid container. That way when its not in use I can pack it all together throw the lid on and store it.

Anyway he still hasn't shown ANY spots or bad movement. He eats normally and swims fine.

One of my BB Gobies is def getting sick. He was never quite full color from the store and always had a semi transparent look to him.
He recently began turning his nose at the bloodworms. My second one is like an ox and AS SOON as the turkey baster hits the water he swims right up like a baby to a bottle and waits.

Between the seconds pale complexion and not eating Im getting worried leaving him in there. He will still come out "to eat" but just doesnt grab anything anymore. I thought his eyes were looking hazy as well but it comes and goes.

I recently started adding a seachem stress coat additive that says it helps with healing just in case.
Seachem StressGuard 500 ml

When I can set up my QT, if he still looks bleck and is not eating I may plop him in there and dose a bit of salt, since I read they can be slightly brackish anyway. Perhaps it might perk him up. They are a pretty tough little fish and I doubt the moving will bother him much. Plus alone I can monitor his eating better and be sure hes getting the food before the others.

All the fish now know the turkey baster and start diving as soon as it goes in even when I flake first to distract them. I may move the gobies to my puffer nano when I set it up since it would just be easier to feed them in general together.

Back
Top Bottom