Ich problem?!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My two electric green skirt tetras have ich!!!! I put them in my 10 gallon this week and I noticed the white spots on there Finns today. What's the best way to fix this problem?

Hi,
Ich is a tough problem, but can be easily solved. Some may say using medication is the best way, but I would refrain from using this method unless it's you're last alternative. The first step to take is to increase you're temperature to 86 degrees. Increase 4 degrees per day to limit any stress on the fish, and to not cause a temperature shock. I would also not use salt, as some fish do not tolerate it, and it doesn't contribute a lot if at all to the elimination of ich. I would start changing 40%-60% of the water every day once the temperature is at 86 Degrees. Don't forget to start gravel vacuuming and do it every day or every other day. The spots will start disappearing in the first week or so(Sometimes even earlier). Remember to keep doing water changes, gravel vacuum and keep the temperature up for at least a period of 7-10 days after the spots disappear.
Remember to keep the lights off and limit any sudden movements to reduce any stress on the fish.
Keep us posted about it. If you have any other question's, we'll be happy to answer, don't hesitate!:)

Jake

I had never heard of the heat treatment before today. Haven't had ich in I don't know how many years! Gradually increasing temp up from 78 to 86... Started early this morning at about 8 and its now 3:15pm... Last check was at 82. Read where it can be increased 1 degree per hour which is not a prob since the heater only has so much ummmmffff. ;0)

Worried about my fish with all of this tho...
Plecostomus x 2
Black skirt and white skirt tetras
Serpae tetras
Cory cats
Rosy barbs
Silver dollars x 2 (they r the ones w ich)
2 rainbow sharks
2 Chinese algae eaters

Thanks for all the info!!! I'm gonna try the heat treatment! Ill keep updating. I just turned the up up from 78 to 82. Tomorrow ill turn it up to 86 and go from there. Gonna do water changes everyday as long as it takes.

Hi,
Ich is a tough problem, but can be easily solved. Some may say using medication is the best way, but I would refrain from using this method unless it's you're last alternative. The first step to take is to increase you're temperature to 86 degrees. Increase 4 degrees per day to limit any stress on the fish, and to not cause a temperature shock. I would also not use salt, as some fish do not tolerate it, and it doesn't contribute a lot if at all to the elimination of ich. I would start changing 40%-60% of the water every day once the temperature is at 86 Degrees. Don't forget to start gravel vacuuming and do it every day or every other day. The spots will start disappearing in the first week or so(Sometimes even earlier). Remember to keep doing water changes, gravel vacuum and keep the temperature up for at least a period of 7-10 days after the spots disappear.
Remember to keep the lights off and limit any sudden movements to reduce any stress on the fish.
Keep us posted about it. If you have any other question's, we'll be happy to answer, don't hesitate!:)

Jake

Update:

I currently have my temperature set at 82 degrees. I haven't had the lights on except for feeding time. Also have been doing 40 to 50 percent water changes daily.

The spots are gone!!!!

What's the next step????

Update:

I currently have my temperature set at 82 degrees. I haven't had the lights on except for feeding time. Also have been doing 40 to 50 percent water changes daily.

The spots are gone!!!!

What's the next step????
Keep doing the treatment. Its also important to vacuum the gravel!
Keep doing this for at least 7 to 10 days.

Can I put a piece of driftwood in my tank while I'm treating for ich or could that stress them out again?

Back
Top Bottom