Ich problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got Ich in my tank. I have a GBR and some guppies in a medium planted 10. I also have some ghost shrimp. I'm not sure which fish brought it in (guppy or shrimp) but my GBR is not responding to treatments at all. He only seems to get more covered in spots by the day. 1 of the guppies is clearing up good and the other male is completely cleared.

I don't want to change medications on them.

I have the temp at 80 for the past 5 days (I'm not sure guppies can handle 86 degrees like recommended)
I have done 25% daily water changes
I have done the medicine after the water change

My poor girl still seems like she has her personality but at this rate, I'm afraid I'm going to lose her. Any last ditch efforts?

I'm not sure if I can offer much help. Except to say that my guppies have handled 86 degrees ok while treating them with salt - 1.5tbsp per gallon. 2 of my 3 guppies cleared up from the velvet, but I mucked up medication dosing - don't overdose meds!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've been steady with the 5mL per 10 gallons it says on the bottle. I'm literally doing everything to a T. I wake up this morning and my black guppy looks like he has more spots but my orange one is completely clear now and my poor ram is still covered.

I'm up to 86 degrees this morning. I've been increasing it every hour this morning. At some point I think there is only so much you can do and the rest is up to the fish. I'm gonna keep this up for now and I'll post back if something changes!

Wishing you all the best! It's horrid when they are sick. Sounds like you are doing all you can

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would not go any higher than 86f .
Leave it at that temp and do water changes, don't need meds and in a couple of weeks it should be ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the advice guys and girls. I lost my GBR today. He couldn't handle the ich. I'm doing daily water changes of 25-30% and I'm getting all the gravel clean as much as possible. I'm just glad he doesn't have to suffer anymore because the last 2 days he has been miserable

Thanks for all the advice guys and girls. I lost my GBR today. He couldn't handle the ich. I'm doing daily water changes of 25-30% and I'm getting all the gravel clean as much as possible. I'm just glad he doesn't have to suffer anymore because the last 2 days he has been miserable

Really sorry :(

Hey guys. I've had my Ich problem for about a week now. I have lost my GBR to it and a male guppy is starting to get just as bad as the GBR was in terms of coverage of ich on his body.

He still swims around with the other male guppy and my sword tail (happy trio right there). I have had the temp at 86 degrees for the last 3 days, I've done daily 25-30% water changes, I have Ich medication that I've been using directly after the water changes. My sword tail and black neon tetras have cleared up about 75% from their Ich coverage on their body. Why did my GBR (I know they're extremely sensitive to water parameters) and my guppy (who are very hardy fish) not respond to treatment but my sword tail, my other male guppy (who I think brought the parasite in) and my black neon tetras all respond fairly positive to treatment but those didn't?

Back
Top Bottom