Ich Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wright4lfe

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay-

I think i one of my lyretail swordtails is coming down with ich. this is the first time since i have been in the hobby (a few years now) that i've run into this problem.

my question is this. my swordtail is in a planted tank with a couple other swordtails and a couple paradise gourami's. should i place the ich-infested swordtail in a hospital tank or should i just treat the planted tank with all the fish in it and hope none of the plants are affected by the treatement?

why say all of you fish freaks...

but if one fish is infected isn't the entire tank infected? i mean, isn't that what everyone says about buying fish from a LFS, i.e. if one fish in the tank is infected, don't buy any from that tank because they're all infected...?

I'd set up the hospital tank, put the one that shows signs of disease in it, and then if others start to show symptoms, put them in also. I'm not an expert on this, so hopefully someone who knows more will stop in.

Ich never affects just one fish. You may only see it on one but the whole tank must be treated. Ich likes to infest the gills as well as the skin. If your swordtail is weak or is getting picked on by other fish it is a good idea to move him and treat both tanks. The heat and salt methods works best. Check out the article. Many plant will tolerate it, ich won't.

okay, tel me if this sounds like the right plan of attack...

slowly raise the temp of tank, while also adding the recommended salt to the tank. do this for 7-14 days. also, do water changes every other day.

I follow my normal PWC schedule when treating ich, unless things go downhill. Once the temp is raised, leave it that way for two weeks after the last ich spot is seen.

is it normal to see what look like burn marks on the scales of the fish? the ich spots seem to be going away, but white blotchy marks are still on the scales...

i will try tonight. ich looks like litte white spots right? well, the little spot is gone, but the scales underneath are still white...

Back
Top Bottom